Subscribe

Forum

Some general suggestions about how to use the forum

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Some general suggestions about how to use the forum

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:48 pm

Hello!

A warm welcome to all readers and posters. We're looking forward to some interesting discussions on this site.

When you are considering a post, please remember that short questions get far more response than long, drawn-out explanations and detail. A question that starts "What's the best style for me, a resume or a CV?" is going to generate far more than the post which begins, "I have long wanted to be a scientist. When I was in Elementary School, I found that blah blah blah."

Our advisors and I are well-practiced at the art of moderating forums such as this, and we routinely answer questions, post new comments, and remove offending posts. If you post a CV, for example, we'd have to remove it. Also, certain subjects (such as "What kind of salary can I earn as a scientist?") just don't mean much when each part of the country and each scientific discipline has a different pay scale. So, we'll often not answer those questions or remove/edit the post.

I'd suggest you take a moment to read some of the forum help guidelines and then take a moment out for a question. We're looking forward to helping in any way that we can!

David G. Jensen, Moderator
Dave Jensen

patent agent

Postby Iris Ben-Efraim » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:37 pm

Hi there,
I've completed my post-doc at the Scripps research institute and would
like to have a career in patent law.
My backgound is in Cell biology, Biochemistry and Biophysics and I also
had a collaboration with industry which gave me some insight into it's
workings.
I wonder what kind of a resume I should send law firms that specialize in
patent law?
I would appreciate guidelines and any pertinent information.
Sincerely,
Iris Ben-Efraim
Iris Ben-Efraim

patent agent

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:20 pm

Hi Iris,

We have a great friend and frequent poster, Chris Buntel, who will hopefully see this thread and help out. If not, I'll be back shortly with some advice.

Dave Jensen. Moderator.
“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

suggestion

Postby Harris » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:24 am

Hi Moderators,
Though these suggestions have been already given by others, I would like to repeat them here.
1)having the latest messages coming on top with the list of new messages since the last visit.
2)a clear demarcation between different threads.
the above two are in operation in the previous forum and are very useful in navigating that forum.Can we have these features here too?.Is there any copyright issue to this?.Even if there is one, I'm sure somebody can come up with different ways of enabling these features.
Best wishes
Harish
Harris

suggestion

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:14 am

Harris,

Great ideas, and yes . . . we're pushing for them. The AAAS is a TON more cooperative and interested in this forum than my previous affiliation. But, they have hesitated thus far in placing "cookies" on a user's computer. Personally, I have no problems with cookies, as every other site does it. We'll see what we can do. I hope Carl is reading this (the AAAS internet guru!) and perhaps he can give us an update,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum