Subscribe

Forum

Between Interviews?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Between Interviews?

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:49 pm

Last week I was invited to a large biotech company for a three-hour interview with four different members of a department. From what I can tell, they were trying to determine whether to bring me back from a more in depth interview. I thought it went very well. Since the interview, I have thanked everyone I met with and addressed some of the issues we talked about with certain people. The hiring manager has emailed me back and said they would be in touch soon.

Would additional contact by me at this point seem overzealous? I am itching to talk more with them about this position. 95% of it fits my background perfectly; I don\'t want that last 5% to be a spoiler. However I don\'t want to push myself on them.

Thanks for any advice.

Andy
Andy

Between Interviews?

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:58 pm

Andy,

One week is not all that long in the great scheme of things, the way that Biotech co's operate! They most likely have another candidate or two to assess in the same way that they did with you, and they are doing this right now. It sounds to me like you have covered all your bases, and you're cued up and ready to be invited back.

I wouldn't let it go another week, however, without touching base with your "champion" there. This may be another scientist whom you had a great discussion with, the prospective boss or in many cases an HR person who arranged the interview. I'd call them the middle of next week and ask about "what the process looks like from here, and if I will have the additional interview that was mentioned as a possibility."

I don't think that could hurt, but yes -- at one week, that may be a bit aggressive.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
“Humility is not my forte, and whenever I dwell for any length of time on my shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things; not at all like the glaring defects in other people’s characters.” - Margaret Halsey
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Between Interviews?

Postby Susan » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:57 am

I would think that it is better to be too aggressive than too passive in the job market.

Personally, I lost an opportunity recently when it seemed that I held back instead of following up. They told me "Two weeks" and I waited a month to get back to them. It was filled!

Susan
Susan

Return to Science Careers Forum