Subscribe

Forum

Time from deadline to interviews

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Kelley » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:50 am

I am currently submitting applications for Assistant Professor positions and am curious about the time frame before interviews. I began sending out my application packets at the end of July with deadlines listed anywhere from September 10 through December 1. What is the reasonable amount of time for the search committees to review the applications and contact applicants on their short list? I\'ve heard that some people who submitted applications in the Fall were not contacted until March or April. This seems like an awfully long time to wait. Is this normal?
Kelley

Postby Bill L. » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:31 pm

Hi Kelley,

The average is about 1-2 months from the close date. If you can imagine a time line: the hiring committee meets soon after the close date, discusses the strongest candidates, and sends out invites. You'd imagine that this could happen in about a week.

Unfortunately, many things delay that process: Can the committee find a time to meet, have they read the applications, does the committee feel that they have enough strong candidates or will they reopen the search, can they agree on who the strong candidates are, and is there still actually money in the budget for the hire?

One way of dealing with this is to wait about two weeks, contact the HR office and just tell them that you are following up on your application and ask them where they are in the hiring process.

That said, we've also heard of candidates getting calls 8-9 months later with organizations wondering if you are still interested in the position. This could be because the hiring committee got it's act together, the other candidates fell through, the budget line was firmed up, the hire became a priority, etc.

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Return to Science Careers Forum