Subscribe

Forum

Getting a job/postdoc in USA

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Getting a job/postdoc in USA

Postby Radhey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi list members,
I am currently a postdoc in USA searching for a job/another postdoc for almost 7-8 months. I got 2 interviews for another postdoc position though I got rejected. I have 3 years experience as postdoc (one a short stint in another university for 9 months and the current job with 2 and half years). From my previous postdoc, I got a first author publication which got accepted recently. I didn't publish anything from my current postdoc but it is getting ready. The problem I am facing is my contract will end of December. As I don't have a green card, my application for job in industry is not getting any results. I also like to point out that I got my masters, Ph.D. from USA. I got only publication from Ph.D. making it much more difficult in the academic job hunt.

In general, do you think it is possible to even get an interview in the industry for somebody without a greencard?. I would also like to know the experience of persons who were jobless after postdoc. For example, if they go back to their native country and still struggling etc..
Radhey

Return to Science Careers Forum