Subscribe

Forum

post-doc-ing for too long

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Anna » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:02 pm

How long of an acedemic post-doc is considered too long by industry hiring standards? Have I shot myself in the foot by staying for a promotion to scientist level in the same lab I post-doced in, in acedemia?

Anna
Anna

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:22 pm

Hi,

I've always found that the job search becomes much, much harder after you've reached 4-5 years of postdoc. If you aren't successfully interviewing and getting interest by your third year of postdoc, you could be in trouble if you don\'t start getting some action.

I don't know how to advise you on the question you posed about staying too long in the one lab. But going by years, if you are approaching 4 or 5 years, moving now to industry would be a very wise idea.

Employers start talking about applicants being "too academic in nature" once they've postdoc'd too long,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: post-doc-ing for too long

Postby Jim Austin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 am

Dave is right of course--but it's very common for companies to consider applicants coming from academia "too academic" no matter how long they've been in academia. It makes sense to assume that an employer will think that about you by default, whether you've been in a postdoc for one year or five. It's up to you to demonstrate that you have an appropriate mindset/approach for industry: that you can work effectively as part of a team; that you like to use science to seek practical solutions to problems, and that the "bottom line" is important; and so on. This has been a very common theme for Dave's columns over the years. There's much to read on this topic on our Web site.

Jim Austin, Editor
Science Careers
http://www.sciencecareers.org
Jim Austin

Re: post-doc-ing for too long

Postby Ana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:35 am

Wow this is an original post from 2004. It would be interesting to know what happened to Anna in the end.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum