Subscribe

Forum

no network=notwork?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

no network=notwork?

Postby John Fetzer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:30 am

Your analogies might work if leaving the herd was a completely open system. What worked for you and a few others will not work for everyone. There just are not enough positions in high-level areas that allow neophytes to transition into.

If you have a degree in one field, it seldom is very transferable in a hurry. A biologist knows little of material science and so cannot become a good candidate in nanotechnology.

In tough economic times, every field is tight for beginners. Companies want results and training takes time. The job market has lots of engineers, biologists, chemists, physicists, IY people, etc. that have experience. The companies have an "off-the-shelf-and-plug-in" attitude about their needs.

Networking is not corruption. It is extending your herd to affiliate with those in others. A more extended sharing of resources and efforts. It is not limited to the job search. Once you get into any field, networking is what gets you on editorial boards, chairing symposia, and many, many other things that get you to the highest levels of the field. Technical capabilities are only the minimum requirements for anything. In industry, in particular, lone wolf researchers are avoided. Projects are too large and multidisciplinary for a set of individuals to succeed. You need coordinated teamwork.

John
John Fetzer

no network=notwork?

Postby Mario » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:25 pm

Please, correct me if I am wrong. I think that networking is one of the main purposes of any scientist. But, the researcher does network as a way to ?share? the science, not because one is looking for a new job. If you do that in a day-basics, must probably the day when you need to move forward or just simple change to another position, the ?science-based? network will help a lot. Some scientists confuse ?networking? with the job-hunter, but I absolute disagree.
Mario

no network=notwork?

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:27 pm

Mario, I believe you are absolutely right. Networking is a life skill, not a job seeking skill. It's handy when you've been networking all your professional life, to pull out that network and use it for your job search advancement. But, in actuality, it is something that has much broader applications and a scientist is definitely expected to have this skill.

The reason that it gets confused with something that is only "job search" oriented is that it happens that when a person is getting out of their graduate program that they need to establish a job search and this is also when they are first learning those skills.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum