Subscribe

Forum

Recent Biomed Eng PhD trying to break into industry

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Recent Biomed Eng PhD trying to break into industry

Postby JKC » Wed May 21, 2014 9:45 pm

I've come across this old thread discussing a similar situation to me: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5907

Specifically, the thread got into a discussion about the merits of forcefully relocating to a biotech hub area (SF and Boston are obvious ones). I'm a fairly recent PhD graduate in biomedical engineering, and my old dream since I started my college education was to eventually end up doing industry research. Along the way I got side-tracked a bit by exploring a possible academic career. My time in graduate school definitely answered that question with a "no". Now I find myself located in a non-hub city with zero industry connections and a background in a very non-translatable research field.

I've done a handful of informational interviews exploring alternative career options, such as science writing and management consulting, but I fear pursuing those will permanently close the door on a career doing research. I've read enough and talked to enough people that I get the sense there is no real potential here in my current city if I want to do industry research, so I'm seriously considering just picking myself up and moving to the SF Bay Area. The key difference here is that I'm actually from there, and I have significant personal and family connections there. Unfortunately I don't have any professional connections I could leverage.

So should I do it? Is it still a terrible idea? Do I even have a future in research? I know moving to another location with no network is bad, but I don't feel like it's any better where I am now.

I appreciate any advice on this. I just have to say this is an amazing forum with great career advice.
JKC

Return to Science Careers Forum