Subscribe

Forum

Help with careers in science

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Daniel » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:48 pm

Hi, I'm 25 years old and I'm considering working towards getting a career in science. I am located in San Diego CA. I'm not really sure what field I would like to pursue but I'm really tired of my job and I'm getting old enough to where I better get a career soon. The biggest problem lies in that I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life. I'm leaning toward science because I find it very interesting and always did well in school on science related subjects. I would like to know if its worth it trying to start a career in science? Are there a lot of jobs that one could start on right after school? (I looked around the job postings for a little bit and saw that most of those postings required a PhD.) Is there some site anyone can refer me to to find out what field of science would be best for me? Is there somewhere I can find descriptions of the different careers in science? Are there schools solely dedicated to science careers? or do I have to go through a 4 year university? Thank you for your time.
Daniel

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:15 pm

Hello Daniel,

If you'd like to "jump start" a career in science, look at the biotechnology industry in San Diego. There are a number of programs in the SD area where community colleges teach people from other disciplines enough about the science to get a job. In fact, schools like MiraCosta in Oceanside have contracts with big biotech companies like Biogen-IDEC to staff their facilities. Get a biotech certficate like this and it is one way to try it without a major investment in time.

Going the four-year route at schools like San Diego State (excellent biotech program) is also a possibility. You'll really need to review your options with the local community, by going to sites such as the home pages of Biocom (www.biocom.org) to read about the happenings in biotech in your region.

Of course, there are many other areas of science to consider. Should you go for a MS or PhD, you'll need to think about the time commitment and the age factor when you get out. Good luck on your decision!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Bill L. » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:43 am

Hi Daniel,

You might also want to visit your library/favorite bookstore and check out some good basic career books that will sketch out an overview of careers in science(areas of science, job descriptions, necessary training, etc.)Two that I can think of are Opportunities in Biological Science Careers
by Charles Winter and Career Opportunities in Science by Susan Echaore-McDavid, but there are others - usually in the same career section.

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Return to Science Careers Forum