Subscribe

Forum

Informational interview to job application?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Informational interview to job application?

Postby M.W.S. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 pm

I recently (~1 month ago) had an informational interview with a high level executive at a major biopharmaceutical company that I feel went quite well. As I was looking at the career portion of this companies website I came across a position in the department that my contact heads that I feel I am well qualified for. My question is: after how long is it appropriate to ask my contact if he/she can put my resume in front of the hiring manager without making it seem as if I had the informational interview specifically for this purpose? Should I be subtle in asking or is it ok to be frank and ask him /her if they can help me get my resume in front of the proper person? Thanks for any advice!
M.W.S.

Re: Informational interview to job application?

Postby PG » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:58 am

Ideally he would do this on his own initiative as a followup of your informal interview. If he didnt how to proceed depends on the discussion you had the first time.

If he hasnt recomended you it is either because he didnt think of it, doesnt know about the open position (unlikely in this scenario but not impossible if it is a large department) or because he didnt see you as a good fit for the position.

Being frank is the best path forward if the explanation is that he didnt think about it but potentially a bad path if he doesnt believe that you are a good fit for the position. My advice would be to be subtle. He seems like a good networking contact and pushing any networking contact with direct questions about specific positions risks changing this contact from a good networking contact to a hiring manager that may be non responsive to future networking efforts.

Of course if your first meeting ended with him saying that he is impressed with your achievements and that he would be happy to recomend you for any open position in this field this advice is completely wrong and a more frank approach might be a better option.
PG

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:39 am

M.W.S. wrote:I recently (~1 month ago) had an informational interview with a high level executive at a major biopharmaceutical company that I feel went quite well. As I was looking at the career portion of this companies website I came across a position in the department that my contact heads that I feel I am well qualified for. My question is: after how long is it appropriate to ask my contact if he/she can put my resume in front of the hiring manager without making it seem as if I had the informational interview specifically for this purpose? Should I be subtle in asking or is it ok to be frank and ask him /her if they can help me get my resume in front of the proper person? Thanks for any advice!

I don't think it is a timing issue -- I think it is a process issue. If you ask him or her to "put the CV in front of" that hiring manager, you are ASSUMING something. You're saying that he would support you -- and, perhaps he or she doesn't feel like you that its a good fit. The best approach is to send your CV to that senior person and say "I spotted this open position, and at least at first pass, it feels like a potential fit to me. May I ask you what your thoughts are? I'd like to apply if you would agree."

That ought to be frank enough, and yet respectful . . .

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby M.W.S. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Thank you guys for your advice. Dave, I think that is a reasonable approach to this scenario!
M.W.S.

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:33 pm

M.W.S. wrote:Thank you guys for your advice. Dave, I think that is a reasonable approach to this scenario!

Great, let us know how it turns out. Good luck,

DGJ
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby M.W.S. » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Quick update: the company has just undergone a massive restructuring and my contact said to stay in touch regarding future opportunities. On a happier note I have a phone interview coming up in a few days with another major biotech company. Looks like it is time to do some additional research about this company and read some phone interview advice on this forum!
M.W.S.

Return to Science Careers Forum