Spotty Biotech Business around USA

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Susan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:01 pm

Seems to me that there are some areas of the USA that just don't have a lot of biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry jobs, and that graduates in these regions are in trouble. Why is the biotech industry so "spotty" across the country?

I am in LA with nothing but Amgen, and yet the San Diego area has a ton of places to work. I can't relocate, my family and situation is right here in the LA area. Am I doomed to take postdoc after postdoc working in the academy when my friends and associates who could move were able to get good, high-paying jobs elsewhere?

Postby Kelly Ann » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:20 pm

While it is ture that there are biotech hot-spots (like the Bay Area, San Diego, and Boston), there are also companies scattered throughout the country in other regions. As a general rule, I have noticed that companies tend to congregate around major universities (thanks in part to the start-ups of professors). Anyhow for considering industry options in a given region, I have found (with its hotbed maps) as well as a listing of california companies at very useful.

For example, the second site lists 23 companies found in Orange or Los Angeles counties (including the City of Hope Research center). However, I think your options primarily depend on what you want to do, as I keep seeing sales and technical service listings all over the country and sometimes you'll find that a large company has small branches (manufacturing or research) elsewhere. Also, staying in academia (as research faculty for example) can have its advantages.
Kelly Ann

Postby Susan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks Kelly Ann. Yes, I know that there are some life sciences locations such as City of Hope, but even that is very far away (Nearly 2 hour drive with traffic). That's the problem with the LA area, it is huge.

I very much appreciate your help and suggestions. I will keep my eyes open for branch operations of companies based outside of the area.

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:15 pm

Hi Susan,

I just came back from moderating a meeting for the Biotechnology Institute in the LA area. There were literally hundreds of companies that we identified for our meeting invitation list. I think it is easy to overlook many of these, because the LA area is so big. But, it is a really up and coming region as well.

See the Southern California Biomedical Council for more information on the region.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum