Subscribe

Forum

Helping others with applying to my group

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Helping others with applying to my group

Postby A.I.C. » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I have a friend from my PhD lab who I think has some of the skills for a job opening in my company. How would I proceed to help her in her application? Is it okay to give the hiring manager (my line manager) her CV and say that I think she's a good candidate? Does it make me look like I'm trying to help a friend at the expense of the company?

Do I become responsible for her success in the company?

Also, I noticed there are parts in her CV that, from my experience with the group, may derail her application. (e.g. Her objectives state that she is looking for a position to contribute to project work but the available position is a postdoc with basic research). Is it okay to make suggestions or would I be breaking any laws?

Thank you
A.I.C.

Re: Helping others with applying to my group

Postby Rich Lemert » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Companies like to receive referrals from current employees because it takes some risk out of the hiring process. Many, in fact, offer an incentive for recommending someone they subsequently hire.

You won't be personally responsible for that person's success. After all, you didn't make the decision to hire her. The only worry you really have is that you don't want to develop a reputation for recommending too many poor applicants.

If you see weak spots in her documents, then by all means point them out to her. As long as you're not disclosing proprietary information, you're not doing anything that you wouldn't/couldn't do for some stranger calling you for a "peer+2" networking discussion. I know she will appreciate the advice, especially if it's relevant to other applications.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dave Walker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Rich's advice is solid. Providing help for a friend's CV/Resume before passing it along to the hiring manager does not break any laws. As a matter of fact, you may be rewarded! But only, of course, if your friend is a good fit in the end.

I'd like to add to suggest not pressing the hiring manager afterward the initial referral. No hiring manager will be upset with a passed along CV -- the worst they will do is not look at it. But if you keep asking, or (even worse) disagreeing when someone else is brought into interview....that can cause problems. It happens more that you might think.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby L. B. Gage » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:43 am

I totally agree with the two previous posts here. One more thing I should comment about is on setting prioritites. Anytime when you are forced to ask such questions, you know you are in grey area. I work for a large chemical company and my company interests are always going to be my top priorities. So, I avoid inviting friends or family into my work space because I know when push becomes a shove I will most likely defend the hand that feeds me. Having this perspective in mind and knowing how you going to act in the face of adversity or challenging situations will help you make better decisions for yourself.
L. B. Gage

Postby Ana » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:44 am

I agree, helping your friend get a better targeted CV is fair and nice to do, as it is to pass it along to the hiring manager. And then understanding that that's all your role.

And I don't see how you could even feel you would ever be responsible for her success in the company! even if you could give her the job (which you don't when you just pass along a CV so that it is included in the list to be considered) then she would still be responsible for her actions.
Ana

Postby PG » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:53 am

My most important advice is that you should never lie. As long as you are truthful about what you know about an applicant you are safe and are doing your company a service. This is true both if you are recomending someone for a position and when you get asked for references which is likely to happen when the company notes that you that are already working with them and for example was working in the same lab at the same time as one of the applicants.

This may put you in a difficult situation sometimes if for example one of your friends wants a recomendation for a position that you dont think they are suitable for but hopefully they can see that getting the right person into the right position is important not only for the company but also for the applicant.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum