Subscribe

Forum

Volunteering

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Volunteering

Postby Jim C. » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 am

Does anyone know the best way to go around volunteering in the science sector and if anyone could give me any tips on where to volunteer. I have an interest in human behaviour and also survival shows like bear grylls and ray mears, I think this would be a mixture of anthropology, psychology and maybe something to do with medicine, but If anyone could give me any other Ideas as to which sectors would be more relevant I would really appreciate it. I've got the information of some local research centres but I didn't know if there was an organisation like 'do-it.org' but more focused on the science sector as do-it doesn't have many science vacancy's.
Thanks.
Jim C.

Re: Volunteering

Postby P.C. » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 am

Really?
Both psychology and anthropology have more to do with science fiction than science. They are both grossly oversubscribed by students, and would constitute a very high risk career venture. Get to know some actual practitioners in the trades before going off half cocked to fantasy survival island.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
P.C.

Postby WG » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:33 pm

I have watched an episode or two of Bear Gryll's shows and to me what he does looks more like highly scripted, high octane stuff made for T.V. The show I am talking about involved camping and hiking through very difficult terrain with a television anchor and there was another with a professional sportsman. Yes, it looked like fun and I would give it a try given the chance but there was no science in that show.

That said, you sound like someone who might be into outdoorsy careers i.e. if you are doing the volunteering as part of your career development. So some areas of biology or geology might be a good fit or certain roles in environmental science. Look into museums, nature centers, parks, aquariums as possible volunteering venues. Also some state departments of conservation or with organizations like WWF or Nature Conservancy. Anthropology sounds like it could also intersect with palaeontology i.e. looking into the past or studies of cultures so again museums or archaeological/history departments (just thinking out loud on this one). For things related to medicine, I wonder whether some academic research labs would work. Obviously you would need to identify an area of research you are interested in and then start reaching out to people in those fields. At this point I think you also need to figure out in more detail the specifics of what you want to do.
WG

Postby L. B. Gage » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:16 pm

If you are serious about building your career around science, I suggest that you spend your efforts on looking for a paid job instead, even if it is part-time. Unless you already have a full time position elsewhere and loking for a second job, I would definitely look for the paid experience. I would second the previous post and suggest narrowing down your interests and then expand your search from a few focal points.
L. B. Gage

Postby E.K.L. » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:47 am

I don't think survival shows have much to do with science at all. But I also disagree about anthropology being sf, both biologic and forensic are definitely important sciences in my opinion.

The only anthropologists I know are in archaeology, and it is definitely very hard physical work in interesting geographical locations, but not something directly connected to human behavior. However, for the physical work of digging, they hire people outside of science, so you would probably be welcome as a volunteer (and maybe even get paid for work).

Also, at least here (EU), newly discovered archaeological sites have to be documented (which happens often during city growth). That's why private archaeological companies exists, and there is work to be found outside of academia, though it varies from country to country.

Forensics is something different altogether, and it is not something I'd recommend to every student, but it is an alternative career possibility.
E.K.L.

Return to Science Careers Forum