Subscribe

Forum

Leaving my current contract position for a new contract position.

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Leaving my current contract position for a new contract position.

Postby James Tyler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 pm

I have been working at my current position since February 2014. It is a contract position. My contract has been extended twice so far (it is a 6 month contract each time) and my current contract will be over in July. I’m not sure if I’ll get an extension, so I have been searching for jobs and I’ve also been working with recruiters. I have a BS degree and my previous positions have been research associate positions, and I am currently looking for research associate type of positions.

Unfortunately, almost all the positions that recruiters find for me are contract positions, although some have the possibility of extension and some are contract-to-hire (although contract-to-hire has been pretty rare). One of my recruiters submitted me for a position that is a contract position with the possibility of extension, but she said that a lot of her previous clients who worked there were converted to permanent. I currently work in the in vivo field and I want to transition into in vitro and cell culture work because I think in vivo wouldn’t be a good fit for me in the long run. The position she submitted me for is a cell culture position and I find it to be more interesting than my current position. The company wants to move forward and she said that the next step is a phone interview.

Assuming that I get an offer from them, what is the general approach to moving from one contract position to another? Is it considered to be unusual or a bad choice? Do people generally only leave their current position for a full time position? What should I tell my recruiter, boss and coworkers so I won’t make myself look bad? Should I be honest with them? One of the reasons I’m doing it is because it has the possibility to become permanent, but also because it’s more interesting and has more potential for growth.

Also, if I accept their offer, how do I go about quitting my current position? What is the process? What do I tell my boss and recruiter (I got this position through a recruiter)? Do I give a 2 week notice? How does that work? I’ve never done this before so I have no idea how it works.

Thanks.
James Tyler

Re: Leaving my current contract position for a new contract position.

Postby Dick Woodward » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:17 pm

Without knowing all of the details, it would seem that leaving a contract position before it ends is, as our British friends would say, "rather bad form" However, since it looks like your contract will end fairly soon (it started in February 2014 and goes in 6-month intervals), going to another contract, or a full time job, is no big deal. On the other hand, if you have just re-upped the contract, you will likely be burning some bridges that may damage your reputation down the road.

Do the phone interview. Don't discuss anything with anyone before that interview has happened. If things progress after the interview, then worry about the next steps. If they are no longer interested, then go back to work, cash your paychecks and look for the next opportunity.

Good luck,

Dick
Dick Woodward

Return to Science Careers Forum