Subscribe

Forum

hang in there folks... it gets better

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

hang in there folks... it gets better

Postby P. Lues » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:51 am

Well folks, I did it! I landed the entry level dream job. It took 2 years post PhD and some crappy awful job working under some questionable characters. But I did it! To all you jaded and cynical folks starting out their careers I want to say hang in there and don't give up. You will figure out a way. Just keep at it and you will figure it out. I still have a long road ahead as dream job doesn't pay a whole lot and the title isn't much. But it's exactly the type of job I wanted all those years wondering the academic wilderness not knowing what the heck I was doing with my life.

I also want to say everything you end up doing can be a learning opportunity you just have to figure out how to leverage it to your advantage. Even that crappy dead end job helped me get my current job because it looked good on paper. And although I hated every second of it, I learned how to spot shady business practices and how to deal with that toxic work place culture. I'm going to do my best to avoid that type of environment in the future. I was naive and it opened my eyes. Everything is an opportunity to learn and grow. Even the crappy stuff you end up doing.

Best of luck to you folks and keep plugging at it. You will get there eventually. Probably sooner than you think.
P. Lues

Re: hang in there folks... it gets better

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks for coming back and telling us what happened. Good news for you!

We like to see positive stories here and not just gripes,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: hang in there folks... it gets better

Postby Dave Walker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Even six months away from the bench I am starting to forget the negativity and hopelessness that seemed to be everywhere. A post like this is always a good idea.

Like anyone else, I spent a long period of time looking for a job without any success. As in, zero. As in people telling me on the phone, "Your career path sounds great, I can't help you in any way but keep in touch every two months or so." Or worse: "you really can't do this -- you need at least one postdoc. Better with two." I had several unpleasant "plan B" postdocs lined up. It was not what I wanted; it was going to be lousy. I figured they could marginally be better than grad school.

Then I took a long shot on an ad for a job in sales and in the interview I gave it everything I had, scared to death thinking about the lousy postdoc that was waiting for me. And the rest was history.

And really, truly, the only advice I could have given myself before would be the same everyone gave me: "Just keep at it." If you keep at it long enough and don't get jaded, you will get exactly what you want. Similar to what I've learned in sales, there's room enough out there for everyone...just find your spot.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Return to Science Careers Forum