Subscribe

Forum

Industry PostDoc Jobs - Websites

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Industry PostDoc Jobs - Websites

Postby Yandorio » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:46 pm

"The most common misperception about networking is that it is "schmoozing" as you describe. That's a cynical comment, an indication that the "people skills" side of that person's background needs some work."

Sorry, I just happen to think it sounds like schmoozing.

Schmoozing--Making ingratiating small talk – talk that is business oriented, designed to both provide and solicit personal information but avoids overt pitching.

I have good people skills and just because I call a spade a spade here vis-a-vis "networking" doesn't make me socially awkward.
I don't hear many people talking about "Networking" and reflexively dismissing traditional job applications except you guys. The problem is the saturated BioMed research profession not the specific route taken to find jobs.
Yandorio

Postby Dick Woodward » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Yandorio:

Yes, parts of the BioMed world - especially academic research positions - are saturated. That's a fact. Your options center around what you are going to do about it. Complaining doesn't help. Pushing the "Apply Now" button is next to useless. That means you need to find a way to get known to people who can make or influence hiring decisions. That is called networking. It is the most powerful way to find a new position. Every position that I have ever had (and there have been quite a few) has come from networking, as have all of my consulting assignments. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Yandorio wrote:I have good people skills and just because I call a spade a spade here vis-a-vis "networking" doesn't make me socially awkward. I don't hear many people talking about "Networking" and reflexively dismissing traditional job applications except you guys. The problem is the saturated BioMed research profession not the specific route taken to find jobs.

Calling the forum "you guys" shows that you distance yourself. The forum consists of many different kinds of people, and many opinions. It's a place where you can come to get some advice, ask a few questions, and then provide the same kind of help to someone who comes after you. I wasn't speaking about you when I said that referring to networking as schmoozing usually refers back to that person having a people skills problem. Read it again. I hear this often, from many different people, all of whom are frustrated by the fact that you can't just put up a CV somewhere on some website and get a bunch of job offers. People who get frustrated by that find that others who are networking are just schmoozing.

Yes, the job markets are saturated in MANY different professions. How do you escape the saturated job markets in these areas whether it's science or law or pharmacy? You follow a different path to the job, and escape the bottlenecks caused by online job application engines.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Katherine Lee » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 am

Networking is a very intimidating thing... as academic scientists we are never taught how to network for a job. We are taught how to communicate our research.

Unfortunately, networking is probably the easiest way to get an industry post-doc.

Two of my former PhD classmates now have great jobs as industry post-docs in the Washington D.C. area and in San Francisco. Both got these positions not because of an "Apply Now" button. They tried that... it got them no where.

They got their CV in front of the head of lab's they work in because of networking at scientific conferences. They both made acquaintances during their times at conferences that panned out for them. In fact, I know for sure that the one classmate, and actually a student from the same PhD lab I am currently training in use the "Apply Now" button for the position he currently holds, and had his CV discarded in the process of the HR black hole. His acquaintance he made at a meeting knew he was looking for an industry post-doc and suggested the position to him, and put his CV in front of the head of the lab. No HR song and dance involved there. Bam. Hired.

The "Apply Now" button is the hard way to do it. Go out there and meet people. "Schmooze" them if that's what you want to call it. If talking to people and making new, helpful friends along the way is the process to use - I'll gladly do it!
Katherine Lee

Postby Dick Woodward » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Katherine:

Well said! You are definitely thinking in the right direction!

Dick
Dick Woodward

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum