Subscribe

Forum

Career choice: HTA vs Regulatory Affairs

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Career choice: HTA vs Regulatory Affairs

Postby MWL » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 am

Hi.

I have to choose (and fast) between two options for my first job after graduation. More choices supposedly don't hurt, but I'm torn.

My background: life sciences degree (MSc), somewhere in Europe.

Option 1: HTA (Health Technology Analysis) analyst in a government body.

Option 2: Regulatory Publishing and Submissions Assistant in a multinational corporation (outsourcing, not pharma itself).

The 1st option seems to be more interesting (though with worse salary) in itself, or at least more intelectually stimulating. But I have doubts about how far I can go in that direction. I have a life sciences (biology) degree and HTA seems to usually be part of job description for those with background in Health Economics (or at least MPH). Do companies hire people with experience strictly in HTA, and not more generally in Health Economics (and without a degree in the latter)? Or is this government job a dead end for me if I ever decide I want to go somewhere else? If there are prospects in this are, what kind of pathway might be available?

As for the 2nd option, how hard is it to progress in that field (from publishing assistant)? My feeling is that Regulatory Affairs is a rather secure career choice. Am I right?

I'd also love to hear any general opinions or advice from people working in either field.

Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.
MWL

Re: Career choice: HTA vs Regulatory Affairs

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:11 pm

We have had little discussion (if any) about HTA careers here in the past. That's a bit out of left field for our forum participants. If you find out more, please post it here.

Yes, Regulatory careers and the whole aspect of Submissions is a good, solid area of future growth. Just ask yourself, will regulations (in general) be going away soon -- or getting more intense?

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum