Subscribe

Forum

Ways to update my lab skills?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Ways to update my lab skills?

Postby I.N.W. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:59 am

Hi
I have a PhD and 2 years postdoc experience, but been out of the lab for 2 years.
I am having a hard time getting a post and all of the feedback I am getting from interviews is that my experience is not recent enough.

Does anyone know/have experience of getting up to date lab skills outside of employment?

I would happily pay for training courses, but they are all so expensive.

Thanks in advance.
I.N.W.

Re: Ways to update my lab skills?

Postby MAP » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Have you tried contacting labs, where you have worked before? You can try volunteering there.

I'm a bit confused with the feedback you're getting. I would say, it should be obvious from your cv that you were not in the lab in the past 2 years or not?
MAP

Re: Ways to update my lab skills?

Postby PG » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:54 pm

I agree with MAP. Your CV should clearly show that you have been out of the laboratory for two years. This means that when you actually get to an interview they should already be in a position were they have accepted this as a fact and therefore it shouldnt come up as a feedback from interviews.

Doing courses (payed or not) will not help with this issue unless you are in some very specific field of research in which the technology development is extremely fast. In some fields of IT two years is considered long but I havent really seen two years as being a major issue in most sciences.

If I speculate, one possible concern might be whatever it is that you have been doing for two years. Usually people will start in laboratory positions and at some point in their careers many will move to another type of position. This move is often (but not always) an idication that this person no longer wants to work with laboratory work but prefers to do something else. When a company hires someone they want this individual to really want to work n the type of position they are hiring for meaning that the fact that you did something else might be viewed as a problem. One of the purposes with the interview might in this scenario be to convince themselves that you really want a laboratory position and if you havent been able to achieve that goal it can be a problem.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum