Subscribe

Forum

Tax treaty after J1 transfer to NIH

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Tax treaty after J1 transfer to NIH

Postby Chen G. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi All,

I transfer my J1 to NIH after 1 year working as a postdoc in a university. The postdoc fellow usually enjoy 5 years federal tax exempt. Does anybody happen to know whether I can enjoy the 5 years federal tax exempt in my case?

Thanks
Chen G.

Re: Tax treaty after J1 transfer to NIH

Postby D.X. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 am

You need to check your status as a Federal Contractor which is the employement status you most likely be if working for NIH at post-doc level, and see if that trumps your visa status. If your are still J1, technically you are still exempt in the 5 year period. Though, if you switch visa class before, say to H1B then you are tax liable.

Best to check with your "human resources" and check with a hired tax advisor if you are still not clear. Don't take assumptions when dealing with Uncle Sam and his IRS.

DX.
D.X.

Re: Tax treaty after J1 transfer to NIH

Postby HMG » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:41 am

It is most likely that you are at NIH on a J1 visa and are classified as a Visiting Fellow, not a Contractor. If so, then you are still subject to the tax treaty with your home country. You can easily check this with your AO.
HMG

Return to Science Careers Forum