Humor me, Career trajectory change

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Humor me, Career trajectory change

Postby Wolf R. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:53 am

I have held almost every position in the restaurant industry, I including owning my own group of delis, to the Director of Operations for a 50 store restaurant chain. I also spent over 20 years in the finance industry. I want to pursue a career in science sales now, which is quite a different direction all together, thus, the expedition aspect if my question. I see this final phase of my.professional life, pursuing a field that I have a passion for. Chasing the money for most of my life. What advice would anyone have for me, for making headway in to the science sales field. What areas would give me an opportunity to prove myself and without a science degree, I understand it is an uphill battle. Thank you for any input:
Wolf R.

Re: Humor me, Career trajectory change

Postby D.X. » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:22 pm

There are many positions that sell science to advance a product to a customer, from high science laboratory equipment, chemicals, and of course pharmaceutical sales.

However, usually I am not a pessimist with job opportunity, but without the "proper" experience and background, these jobs are hard to come by. In the pharmaceuticcal sector, which I can talk to, I would say forget it. Why? The industry, from a sales rep point of view has been consolidating massively for a varierty of reasons to include increased Key Accounts Management focus, shift from GP to Speciality sales, plus revenue pressures that push towards smaller sales forces (i wont go into the revenue pressures but think loss of exclusivity and late life cycle management).

So, simply put, there are tons of well qualified, experienced, and sucessfull reps who are out of jobs...I know a ton of them. Its an employers market. So, someone with no direct subject area experience will have near futile time to get such sales positions - and I would challenge that it would be near impossible to look for positions at higher positions..scratch off District Manager or Sales Force Effectiveness jobs.

Sorry to be glum, but just being real, of course it does not mean you cant try, i.e. Network. But I also guess for the high science jobs, the science background is a must.

Landscape is bad out there, especially as one gets older, it becomes very difficult to compete. I know quite a few late 40 to 50 somethings who are former Pharma Business Unit Heads or Franchise Directors who are out of jobs and have not been able to find one for general they then take then next pridictable and standard step for folks of that age......start a consultancy.

Good luck!

Re: Humor me, Career trajectory change

Postby Dick Woodward » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Unfortunately, I agree with D.X. I do not think that such a change would be possible. Even in an environment where salespeople were scarce, I doubt many people would even look at your resume - I certainly would not.
Sorry to be so negative, but this is the truth.

Dick Woodward

Return to Science Careers Forum