Subscribe

Forum

Should I just pursue science as a hobby?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Should I just pursue science as a hobby?

Postby Shanda » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:54 pm

I was looking to start as an undergraduate in Environmental Science in the fall of this year. My intention was to transfer to another college for a B.S in Conservation and Wildlife Management. I wanted to take on this course of study for what I'm sure is a pretty starry-eyed reason (I want a job helping to maintain the environment, and/or doing field research), and because of that I can't seem to gather enough information as to what my outlook would be after I graduated; the competition in the job market, whether my age would be a factor (early thirties?), or if I'm even cut out for it.

I don't even have a specific line of work that I'm interested in, I just enjoy being able to study and have a fondness for nature. I wanted to know if I'm going about this with too broad of a mind-set, and if maybe I should look to study something else?
Shanda

Re: Should I just pursue science as a hobby?

Postby P. H. Redzak » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi Shanda,

I recommend volunteering at your local nature center, state/national park, or natural history museum to get a better idea if this is something you really want to pursue career wise and what the job market is like. Do you have a degree already? I don't think for this field it is necessary. At my museum we often hire from our volunteer pool and frequently a degree is not required. My view is, that especially in your 30's, why put in the time and money until you know for sure?

Good luck.
P. H. Redzak

Postby Shanda » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:22 am

Thank you, that's a really good idea.

No, I don't have a degree, but I figured once I was done with everything I would be in my thirties by then, and I just wanted to know my other options before I committed myself.
Shanda

Postby Rich Lemert » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:47 am

It appears you already have a program you're considering go through, so why don't you contact them and find out where their graduates wind up getting jobs. You could then contact people working for those employers to find out what they do.

As for "being in your thirties" when you finish your studies - keep in mind that even if you're 35 you'll still have at least 30 years before you retire.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby P.C. » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 am

Yes.
In general, people going to school in that field end up doing something completely unrelated because the programs are grossly overprescribed, relative to the few, underpaid positions available. You might have noticed that government is not a growth industry. If you were my kid I would not pay tuition for that program. Find something more marketable. Err in haste, repent at leisure.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
P.C.

Return to Science Careers Forum