Subscribe

Forum

How important is a postdoc to career progression?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: How important is a postdoc to career progression?

Postby H.L.F. » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 am

Two of them consider postdoctoral training to be a very important developmental step and skipping it will be looked down upon by hiring committees.

The third has sat on nunerous hiring committees (albeoy in academia) and said that they have never considered the candidacy of someone without a postdoc. This person didn't say that they were necessary, per set, but no candidate without one has been considered.
H.L.F.

Postby NKC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:10 am

The value of a post doc is that you have additional time to demonstrate independence, increase your publications, and network with new colleagues.

That being said, if you can move straight into industry (a job you’re interested in and at the PhD level) then by all means do it!!!! Very few scientists in industry care about whether or not you did a post doc. Industry is focused on the skill sets you have and what you can do for the company. If you already have the skills they need, then go for it!

Note: In my years working in industry, I've never discounted a job application because the applicant didn't do a post doc. If anything, I would worry more about being seen as a perma-doc (someone who has done multiple post docs).
NKC

Postby BMK » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 pm

I'll chime in to agree with the other posters: if you do not want to stay in academia, there is absolutely no point in a postdoc if you already can get industry offers. The concept of a postdoc being a useful indicator of any kind of career progression is only an academic concern: and only in so much that you used it to successfully demonstrate independence, i.e., no perma-docs, and, even better, that you used it to get your own funding via a K and/or Fellowship award.
BMK

Postby MMD » Fri May 22, 2015 3:11 pm

Down the road, hiring managers aren't going to be looking back at "did you complete this check mark before you got a real position? No? Too bad." They're going to look at what you did in your latest position.
MMD

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum