Subscribe

Forum

academic career-pyramide-stay or leave

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: academic career-pyramide-stay or leave

Postby John D. D, » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Trying to think in this what you do. One possibility would
be to make a questionnaire of specific questions like:
On a scale of 1-10:
1) the individual is motivated and interested in the field.
2) the individual is able to think critically.
3) the individual is able to formulate and test hypotheses.
4) the individual is honest about data.
5) the individual is knowledgeable and well-researched in the field.
6) the individual has writing skills, presentation skills, etc.
7) the individual has colleagues with whom they discuss research.
8) the individual is consistent and reliable.
9) the individual helps others when asked.
and a few other questions.
Ask people to fill these out, return it to a central person like a secretary, and then get the composite form notarized by a secretary. Honestly, most people probably won't do it, and anyway, by referring to your institution (and you already have a publication with it listed), it is unavoidable that people would not be contacted if someone were interested. The influence can be pretty untraceable.

The next step would probably be to simply say: "Although I worked in this lab, I did not have an adviser, or my adviser did not really accept me as a student." This is what I can give you: 1) paper 2) notarized composite form 3) GRE scores 4) specialized GRE 5) statement of research interest 6) any course work that seems relevant, 7) statement of interest and articulation of what you think you can contribute to the other person's work. Anything positive and objective might help.

It is also possible, but very difficult, to change the institution listed on your publication. This could be pointed out to the people at your institution as an incentive for them to try to be less negative. Again, be polite with everyone, quiet, and kind. Show them your folder if you want. Say thank you.
John D. D,

Postby John D. D, » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Thinking a little more, it is possible that science, like art, could be self-referential, especially if there is a long-term medical condition involved. So, perhaps one should not overplay the role of the reference.
As a matter of principle, it probably should not necessarily be an invitation-only club.
John D. D,

Postby K.T.C. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:17 am

hello John,

Thank you for your advice, this needs collabration of the institution. They can simply refuse to fillin this form as they are already not good at me.

It is completely fine that they don't want me as their students, but they should not prevent the others from taking me as a student. Anyone against their wishes will be badly punished, They have plenty of time and energy to do this at work.
K.T.C.

Postby John D. D, » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:50 am

Most institutions do not find it necessary to be so overtly hostile. The real problem is that an institution can generally accomplish blocking a career without overt hostility when there is a huge conflict between the student and the institution. It can be as simple as rewarding the student for making really poor career choices, in terms of what the student wants. I think the important thing to do, is to de-escalate the conflict.

The person did not want you as a student. You really wanted to work in that field. You lost a few years, but got some really important experience gaining independence and maturity and want to start over, or move on from here. You would like ... (an adviser, a research lab environment that is fun to be in, a project where you can get results, but probably mostly a positive social identity). Smile, laugh, it can definitely be short of tragic.

See if you can find one or two friends, short of having to go into a witness protection program to have a career (and believe it or not, there are advisers who will reward students for taking that path).
John D. D,

Postby K.T.C. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:06 am

Thank you John, the conflict level is individually, have not encounter with institution, the institution simply ignore our conflict. I did express my apologize to this individual before...The reproduciable results and it went through the peer-review is already a solid evidence.

The point is: no matter you go silent or not, no matter what evidence, either way, your career is badly influent by a former employer. This system allows this happen and happen again. Recommendations is more important than the real scientific skills.
K.T.C.

Postby John D. D, » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:31 am

This is actually a pretty common problem that people confront. People in science do make mistakes, and then someone comes along and eventually finds the mistake. Does that person publish the mistake or the correction?

So, at this point, I think one approach might be to be sheepish about it. You could say something like: "I felt at the time that people might rely on this data in the event of a medical emergency, so I wanted to correct it. In retrospect, people are probably able to think critically about stuff, and maybe a simple published question or discussion would have been effective."

A lot of science does develop around the challenge of proving people wrong. If that is what motivates you, then there are probably opportunities for this, but I would not expect someone to feel comfortable with someone with this motivation in their lab. Maybe it should be tempered, or your next project should really be not reaction, but an exploration of the truly unknown.
John D. D,

Postby John D. D, » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:50 am

BTW, as the realm of what is unknown becomes smaller and smaller, revolution becomes the only option in science. It is a pretty common trick to give disenfranchised groups "corrective work", possibly because they can structure their efforts in this way, but also because it tends to be less competitive.
John D. D,

Postby K.T.C. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 am

thank you John, no one is really able to competing with one another with this motivation in science..... ......if the studies are so contradictory, i wanna ask if it is a major contribution? do they just get bored? Spending time and energy on correcting each other and punishing each other. After all, it's just bloody and snooby. If this is just a trap, don't look back
K.T.C.

Postby John D. D, » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:17 pm

KTC - do science because you love the dance between your mind and reality.
For some of us, who might have horrible chronic diseases that others can't see, it is also a way of staying connected to reality in a way that allows us to live healthier. So not always fun, but also possibly a life-saving confrontation, when it isn't overwhelming.

Find some friends. Change your environment.
John D. D,

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum