Subscribe

Forum

Is a Research Assistant Professor position good for tenue-track future?I

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Is a Research Assistant Professor position good for tenue-track future?I

Postby CNM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:51 am

I'm a non-resident visa postdoc, at my second year of postdoc and my career goal is to receive a tenure-track position one day. I know that, until I don't receive the greencard, my only opportunity to do so is applying for the K99 grant. I was offered a Research Assistant Professor upon writing a R21 for a junior faculty. I know that becoming a RAP exclude the possibility of applying for the K grant. On the other hand, the K grant is very competitive. My question is: is the Research Assistant Professor position leading to the tenure-track? Can I as a Research Assistant Professor apply as PI for grants (R21-R01) and become faculty one day? Should I stay a postdoc and apply for the K grant or take the promotion? Thank you.
CNM

Re: Is a Research Assistant Professor position good for tenue-track future?I

Postby Gene » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:58 pm

My advice would be to take the promotion to RAP which will pay more than a postodoc and more benefits. Forget about the K99, and just develop your ideas more, get prelim data and apply straight for R01/R21. And yes, RAP will allow you to apply for R01 if you get the appropriate support letters from the Chair.
And btw, you don't need a green card to apply for R01 these days.
Getting an R01, or even getting a good score will make you very marketable for TT position.
Gene

Postby Craig B. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:14 am

Talk to your institution's Office of Sponsored Projects and department head to clarify your eligibility to apply as a PI for R01 and R21 with the RAP position. Assuming you're eligible, take the promotion. I know of several RAPs who have obtained independent funding and transitioned to tenure track positions at different institutions.
Craig B.

Postby Ana » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi C.,

The RAP position is a very interesting professional progress, that's for sure. And that is also something in hand. It is difficult to compare something in hand (RAP) with a potential maybe (K award).

Because of that, I would take the RAP position.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum