Subscribe

Forum

Skype Interviews - More and More Common

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Skype Interviews - More and More Common

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Here's some good advice for Skype interviewing, which is more and more common. This fellow on YouTube makes some great suggestions. I'm serious when I say you'd better follow this advice, because there are SO MANY bad Skype interviews that could have been improved by just a few simple changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQwanxQmFnc&feature=youtu.be

Have you had this opportunity yet, to be "video interviewed" instead of traveling to that location? It's gaining popularity fast.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
“Humility is not my forte, and whenever I dwell for any length of time on my shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things; not at all like the glaring defects in other people’s characters.” - Margaret Halsey
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Skype Interviews - More and More Common

Postby Ana » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:37 am

I've seen Skype interviews used instead of some of the phone interviews but not replacing an on-site interview.

And i would personally not be comfortable as an applicant making a decision on an offer if I haven't seen the people face to face. A place where you work is more than the one person sitting at the other side of the computer, it is how she treats her other trainees/employees, how people talk about him when you ask them while visiting the place, it is how the place makes you feel (do you see yourself coming every day?)... it is much more than one person, so you can't replace it by Skype.

But you are right, is is being used more and more and we've had some people asking in the forum if they should accept a job offer even though they haven't been on-site, just phone/Skype, so it is certainly getting popular.
Ana

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:51 am

That video was great, with some no-nonsense tips. If you are being seen for the first time by an interviewer, those simple changes will make a big difference. And as we all know, initial impressions happen in the first microseconds.

For some job interviews, including a postdoc, I had a Skype screen after a phone screen. There was always a face-to-face before hiring, however. Though even for a remote job like mine (sales) there is not a lot of face time with other employees, I think it's necessary to see one another face-to-face to start building trust.

In contrast, I know that in the programming world Skype interviews are incredibly common, and even include screen-sharing where the applicant is asked to solve a coding problem live. This sounds completely alien to me, but that's how it goes!
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby D.X. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:01 am

I have been Skyped interviewed a few years back as part of HR screening.

Basically, some key points, avoid backgrounds with distractions (I.e. a white wall behind is good). Control your lighting. Make sure you are visible to your computer's camera. Monitor you distance to the screen -and do a sound check.

A lot of companies are using Skype for HR screening and 1st discussion with hiring manager. It saves costs of flying in a "un vetted" candidate, especially in this cost/budget constricted world. Certainly HR is also a department that needs to contribute to reduced costs.

I'm not clear that Skype is being used for an entire interview process through job offer -, I have not heard of this yet in my industry or area of work, the Face to Face is a necessary component especially as the candidate progresses in the process.

DX
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:57 am

D.X. wrote: I'm not clear that Skype is being used for an entire interview process through job offer -, I have not heard of this yet in my industry or area of work, the Face to Face is a necessary component especially as the candidate progresses in the process.

DX

I think you're right here. You have to see a candidate and actually be in the room with him or her. That's what companies need to do before a hiring decision.

But Skype can sure cut through the BS and show you who is sharp and who is not. And, the thing to remember about a Skype, or any brand of video, interview is that it highlights weird things and not necessarily what you think it will highlight. It's so distracting when people don't remember these basic tips, or when they have no concern for the camera angle, and so forth. I've seen so many good candidates do bad video interviews -- I think it can be a disaster waiting to happen for many. That's why it takes preparation and consideration of all these elements,

Dave
“Humility is not my forte, and whenever I dwell for any length of time on my shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things; not at all like the glaring defects in other people’s characters.” - Margaret Halsey
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby MFM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

[quote="D.X."]
I'm not clear that Skype is being used for an entire interview process through job offer -, I have not heard of this yet in my industry or area of work, the Face to Face is a necessary component especially as the candidate progresses in the process.

DX[/quote]

I know a couple of cases where only Skype interviews were held before hiring people (as postdocs). In both cases the candidates were on different continents and not enough money was available to pay for their flights.

Personally, I wouldn't hire anybody without speaking to them face-to-face. Also, looking at it from the other side, I want to check out the place/people/environment where I'm going to work, especially if it involves a (long-distance) move!
MFM

Postby Dick Woodward » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:20 am

This is an excellent video. One thing that he should have added is "look in the mirror to make certain that your tie is straight." Note that his is not.
Dick Woodward

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Readers:

The latest Tooling Up column addresses some further fine-tuning of video interviewing, at the following link:
http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2015_07_22/caredit.a1500183

It was just published today.

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby RGM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Ana wrote:A place where you work is more than the one person sitting at the other side of the computer, it is how she treats her other trainees/employees, how people talk about him when you ask them while visiting the place, it is how the place makes you feel (do you see yourself coming every day?)... it is much more than one person, so you can't replace it by Skype.

Ana, what in the case of field positions, such as sales, FAS, MSL, Field Marketing etc?

There are many positions in biotech supply sector that are home based. In that context, how relevant is an in person interview?

Granted I'd prefer an in person interview, but increasingly I have seen Skype used from beginning to offer at times.
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby Dick Woodward » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:00 am

RGM:

The in-person interview is very relevant and very important for those "home-based" positions. Those are usually in sales or technical service, and are client-facing positions. The in-person interview allows the hiring manager to see the candidate as the client will see him or her - there is no substitute for that.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum