Subscribe

Forum

Knowing the salary of your coworkers?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Knowing the salary of your coworkers?

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:56 am

In my experience (female), salary negotiations are not as simple as asking for more. I have asked for a higher salary in the past and I was shot down both times. Perhaps part of it was my poor negotiation skills. But I know another reason. I wasn't prepared to walk away, because I needed/wanted those jobs. It doesn't mean they would have offered me more if I had indicated that I was about to walk. But I would have probably ended up at a different place with a higher salary (doesn't mean I would have liked the job more though).

Here to hoping that your needs/wants in a job in terms of day to day tasks and experience you will gain actually line up with the compensation that the employers are willing to offer.
Parker

Re: Knowing the salary of your coworkers?

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:04 am

Parker wrote:But I know another reason. I wasn't prepared to walk away, because I needed/wanted those jobs. It doesn't mean they would have offered me more if I had indicated that I was about to walk. But I would have probably ended up at a different place with a higher salary (doesn't mean I would have liked the job more though).

An excellent point, Parker. I don't hear it talked about enough. Perhaps because it's different for everyone, but I have seen this as well. If one isn't really willing to walk away then negotiating can be too hard. I would like to think that the reasons one couldn't walk away are because the job is too engaging or the benefits are too great...but (in my experiences) there is usually a deeper issue.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum