Subscribe

Forum

CV empty!

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

CV empty!

Postby Lee » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:34 pm

Having recently graduated with a 2:1 in Pharmacology from Newcastle University I am hoping to move back up to the north east and pursue a scientific career of some description, however i cant help feeling that my CV contains nowhere near enough positive points that would help secure a good job. My work history is mainly vacation work at food factories to earn sufficient money to pay for my tuition fees and my only relevent reference is my university tutor who i saw approximately twice during my entire university course.
I am currently working at British Sugar in another non-scientific job top pay my debts off and then when that finishes in feburary i will begin to look for relevant jobs in the industry.
Are there any practical steps i can take in the meantime or after feburary to improve my CV in terms of skills and in terms of relevant experience that will stand me in good stead when it comes to applying for that all important first job? (My current thinking is towards the medical sales industry)
Lee

CV empty!

Postby John J » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:34 pm

Hi Lee

I have recently returned from the UK where I worked in the medical area for a large pharma company in London. My wife worked in one of their medical sales teams. An entry level position in sales will require ticking some boxes in so far as having a good science / allied health qulaification (which you have) and living close to your proposed territory (or willing to relocate). Employers won't be expecting a jam-packed CV for a recent graduate however you should attempt to stand out from the crowd possibly in the section describing your interests or extra-curricular activities. Where applicable to you, demonstrate traits such as playing a team sport or even better being a captain of a team. Steer away from introverted interests. Also in your experince section demonstrate maturity and the acceptance of responsibility through your vacation work and specifically describe your accountability in these roles.

Also in your covering letter show, through examples, that you have the types of skills required for the sales role. I would address areas such as: positive attitude, persistance, ability to improvise, good organisational skills which you will need to manage your diary and business / territory plans. These will help you stand out from the crowd. Also try to get +ve references from your vacation employers such as your supervisor. These will also help to establish your work ethic and character.

Good luck and you have one advantage already in that you will be working in a region (north east)where companies find it hard to employee someone as everyone wants to live in the south.

John J
John J

Return to Science Careers Forum