Subscribe

Forum

Career advice

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Career advice

Postby Anjana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:33 am

[*][*][*]
Last edited by Anjana on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anjana

Re: Career advice for a stranded post graduate fresher

Postby PG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:46 am

companies / academia often prefer to hire someone who already has a job or at least very recently had a job. One of the reasons for this is that having a job (and keeping it) means that you are capable of delivering results and collaborating with others. Having been out of a job for a longer time period regardless of reason can sometimes cause problems.
One obvious way around this is to find a position. Any chance of for example finding maybe a temporary laboratory position in the country that you are currently in? This should go a long way of fixing this specific complication.
PG

Postby Yandorio » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 am

I would disagree with the idea that not having a job means
you can't deliver results or collaborate with others---I think
it (the reluctance to hire unemployed people) is often more primitive and illogical than that, in the same
vein as the paradox of why guys who already have wives or girlfriends
get hit on so much by females...there's some kind of defect
in employers' brains, a type of groupthink or schoolyard mentality.
I know that sounds cheeky but what is the evidence jobless people didn't get results? I know several brilliant people who got laid off for sticking to their guns and not being rah-rah types or foreseeing problems others could not and being vocal about it. Not enough
school spirit and they were let go.
Yandorio

Postby PG » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:00 pm

I do agree that there is plenty of people that currently doesnt have a job that can be very productive and I also hope that most companies takes the current situation on the job market into account when making this type of decisions. However I still think that at some point being unemployed for a long time starts to either raise questions about the willingness or capability to be a high producer in a position.

As an example around here there is an acute lack of teachers and there are plenty of schools that are unable to find staff despite advertising etc. I think that one school advertised 23 open positions and had a total of 8 applicants. In that type of job market if you are a teacher and have been unemployed for two years a lot of people will start thinking about why that might be the case and it is likley to be a major negative.

However in the science job market today being unemployed for some time is normal and something that probably the majority of people have experienced at some point in their careers which means that it is a lot less negative as compared to the teacher example but at some point which is different for different people and different regions I still think that it is a negative.

Making the wrong hire is very expensive an dI do believe that the frequency of high producers is higher among people who either has a position or recently had a position as compared to in the group that have been unemployed for several years. This of course still means that there are potential high performers in both groups just that the frequency is different. In an environment in which there is a high number of applicants for a position and the hiring company is trying to find a good candidate with limited effort this can be enough to have an impact on the probability that someone will look on your CV in more detail.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum