Subscribe

Forum

colleague does not accept linkedIn invitation

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

colleague does not accept linkedIn invitation

Postby Susan H. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:51 pm

During the past couple of weeks I've been working with a colleague from another department (big pharma). I feel I have supported her a lot, spending my weekends to help her get her things done ( she seems quite inexperienced). Now the project is over, and I have sent her a linkedIn invitation, which she hasn't accepted. I feel that our relationship is normal, not very close, but ok/good. So I am not happy that she ignores my offer. It even came to my mind that she doesn't want to be reminded that she owes a big part of the project's success to me. I have difficulties dealing with this situation of not being recognised, and I think that she is being rude. Am I being unreasonable? Why would she refuse?
Susan H.

Re: colleague does not accept linkedIn invitation

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Are you sure she has a linkedin account? I get linkedIn invitations ALL the time from people I know well and people I don't know at all, but I don't have (or want) a linkedIn account. So I just ignore the invitations.
Chris

Postby Ana » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:47 pm

If you are sure she has a linked in profile, how many connections does she have? some people is more private in LinkedIn and only have a few very close connections, while some people with a couple of hundred connections or more will just accept virtually any request, and it has nothing to do with you, it is all about how they see LinkedIn.
Ana

Postby Lydia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:46 pm

I know many people who log in to LinkedIn very sporadically and/or don't get invite notifications. If that is the case, she will probably accept when she logs in next - may be days or months from now. I wouldn't read much into it.
Lydia

Postby Rich Lemert » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 pm

It's pretty clear from your post that you see a value in establishing connections in LinkedIn. You also see a fairly intense but limited interaction as more than sufficient justification for making that connection. The key word in these two sentences, though, is you! These are your values and your judgements.

Your colleague is not you. She is her own person, complete with her own values and opinions. Whether or not she accepts LinkedIn invitations is up to her, and she is under no obligation to justify her decision to you.

I'd file this one under "things I have no control over and therefore shouldn't worry about."
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dave Walker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 am

As someone who uses LinkedIn for hours every week as part of my job, I must echo the points here. There are many types of people who use LinkedIn, and it doesn't correlate neatly with job title. (Amazingly there are CEOs who have no time for and that also see it as the one thing they absolutely must do.)

It's very much fire and forget. If the other party declines your invitation you may never know, and that's intentional.

If you are needing this person's network for networking purposes, either try contacting them directly with a specific request -- "I'm looking for someone who works in sales, do you know anyone?" Otherwise, simply befriend others in your field of interest and make connections that way.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby MDM » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:44 pm

LinkedIn is a little different for various people. The need to link to people you already work with seems a little unnecessary to me since you already have easy access to those people. Some people like to be cautious with whom they connect with from their company because LinkedIn does things like broadcasting to all your other connections people you've recently connected with. So let's say you connect with a recruiter and then people you are connected with at your company (maybe even your boss) see that, or anything else LinkedIn decides to broadcast to your connections, and then people make all kinds of assumptions based on what they see. That recruiter may be someone you want to keep in mind in the future, but others might jump to the conclusion you're unhappy at your job and are currently looking to jump ship. No one says anything about it to you but it's in the back of their mind and you're none the wiser because you don't always think about the fact that LinkedIn automatically broadcasts any update posted to all your connections. Much like Twitter, Facebook or any other social networking site there are potential repercussions for anything you post on these sites and what you do with them.
MDM

Postby Dave Walker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:43 pm

MDM wrote:LinkedIn is a little different for various people. The need to link to people you already work with seems a little unnecessary to me since you already have easy access to those people. Some people like to be cautious with whom they connect with from their company because LinkedIn does things like broadcasting to all your other connections people you've recently connected with. So let's say you connect with a recruiter and then people you are connected with at your company (maybe even your boss) see that, or anything else LinkedIn decides to broadcast to your connections, and then people make all kinds of assumptions based on what they see. That recruiter may be someone you want to keep in mind in the future, but others might jump to the conclusion you're unhappy at your job and are currently looking to jump ship. No one says anything about it to you but it's in the back of their mind and you're none the wiser because you don't always think about the fact that LinkedIn automatically broadcasts any update posted to all your connections. Much like Twitter, Facebook or any other social networking site there are potential repercussions for anything you post on these sites and what you do with them.

Good points MDM, and thanks for sharing. You are absolutely correct that there are sneaky points to LinkedIn (and all social media platforms, it seems).

That said, you can change your settings so that your new connections are not displayed. Further, linking with anyone -- people you work with, or complete strangers -- allows you to access their connections (and their connections' connections) when searching. This can be an extremely valuable tool, if used correctly.

But changing privacy settings is a must. And checking them periodically to ensure they are still locked down.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby Kevin Foley » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:22 am

Personally, I do linkin to the people I work with. For me, the greatest value of LinkedIn is to stay connected with the people I have worked with in the past. Most of these no longer work with me, but they represent the vast majority of my connections.

People you have directly worked with are the most valuable part of your Network. They have a personal relationship with you and know your talents and skills. Now is the time to establish a connection before they move on and forget you (or visa versa).

You should also make note of how you met them and what your relationship is. After a few years and 100s of connections, the details tend to get fuzzy. Conveniently, LinkedIn allows you to do this.

It's also a good idea to go through your connection list every year and weed out the irrelevant ones (don't worry, LinkedIn won't send them a notice that you've deleted them). We all meet people at conferences and parties and linkin to them just to be polite. But they are not really very useful for networking purposes, and I prefer my LinkedIn connections to focus on people I actually know well.

As mentioned, when you are in job hunting mode, it may be a good idea to adjust the privacy settings on LinkedIn.
Kevin Foley

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:33 am

Great to see a post from Kevin Foley, one of our former Advisors and still an All-Star rated respondent, judging from the total number of quality posts he's made over the years!

I'd add to Kevin's excellent comments that not everyone "prunes" their list of contacts as he does. There's a reason why I want to have as many connections as possible, and that's to open up my own searches in LinkedIn to 2nd degree connections that I wouldn't have if it weren't for the links I might have pruned.

Each to his own on LI, for sure.

Dave
“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum