Subscribe

Forum

Biomed postdoc for a foreign MD

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Biomed postdoc for a foreign MD

Postby PG » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:28 am

If you dont already have any contacts I would suggest going on linkedin and other sources of information trying to identify people that your friend has something in common with and that currently are in the US. For example if someone has graduated from the same university, comes from the same city or even country (preferably working in a relevant area). Also people working on the type of research that your friend is interested in (Pubmed is a good way of finding people as well).

If you want to discuss outside the public forum send me a privarte message using that function on the forum.
PG

Postby D. Martin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:10 pm

I work in academia so I can tell you
1) we receive tons of emails, I am a new professor and I get at least 2 emails a week asking me for positions, senior colleagues get up to 5 requests a day. If your friend emailed prominent scientists, even if the position was advertised, he will (most likely) not get an answer.
2)In my experience, it is usually a networking thing, I call/email friend and ask for names, they put me in contact with people and that is how I hire my postdocs
3)Professors hire based in what they need, so even if your friend thinks he is a good fit, he may not have what a prof is looking for. Moreover, must of my colleagues do not like to teach someone to do research (and most MD are not as good researchers as PhDs, of course there are several exceptions but people in academia will not gamble to find the exceptions)
3) Is he trying to work for MDs doing research? that will increase his chances.
If you want, email me and I can read his letter and give you some tips (of course, it will be my point of view...)
Last edited by D. Martin on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D. Martin

Postby Dave Walker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:58 am

D. Martin wrote:I work in academia so I can tell you
1) we received tons of emails, I am a new professor and I get at least 2 emails a week asking me for positions, senior colleagues get up to 5 requests a day. If you friend emailed prominent scientists, even if the position was advertised, he will (most likely) not get an answer.
2)In my experience, it is usually a networking thing, I call/mail a friends and ask for names, they put me in contact will people and that is how I hire my postdocs
2)Professors hire based in what they need, so even if you friend thinks he is a good fit, he may not have what a prof is looking for. Moreover, must of my colleagues do not like to teach someone to do research (and most MD are not as good researchers as PhDs, of course there are several exceptions but people in academia will not gamble to find the exceptions)
3) Is he trying to work for MDs doing research? that will increase his chances.
If you want, email me and I can read his letter and give you some tips (of course, it will be my point of view...)

Great reply, D. Martin! I think you captured it the best! This sounds exactly like every postdoc appointment seen in my graduate years -- PIs hounded daily with requests, and recommendations from previous colleagues that carry the most weight.

And to reinforce PG's and D. Martin's recommendation, hopefully the poster's friend has colleagues from their medical school training -- even just classmates and teachers -- that either live or know someone who lives in the US. At the training hospital I worked at, this was arguably how the majority of MDs found their next paths, research or otherwise.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum