Subscribe

Forum

Stuck!

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Stuck!

Postby Anne-Liese » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:54 am

Hi,

I am stuck!
I have not been with (scientific work) for almost two years and I have no idea how to justify that huge gap! It is a trap and I can only say that things have not gone my way.

I have a PhD and my last work has been in the US(I currently live in Europe and would relocalize anywhere!) I was working in cancer research in a very specific field and that leaves me with a narrow window of job oppotunities to begin with. I love science and believe I am smart and skilled.

I feel my temporary occupations during the past two years don't fit into my CV and would make it look like a patch work. How can I convince people that I haven't forgotten anything, rather contrary, I had tons of time to catch up with reading literature and I feel better informed in my field than ever! What shall I do?

Anne-Liese
Anne-Liese

Stuck!

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:47 am

Hi Anne-Liese -

It's a terrible feeling to be floundering in a career; feels a bit like treading water. We all prefer the feeling of "going somewhere" with our career choices, so I know what you mean by STUCK.

While I don't know what temporary positions you've had, my recommendation to you is to try MORE temporary positions, but the right ones this time. There are companies in Europe or the USA who specialize in scientific (bench) staff for companies, whether in cancer research fields or any other. These firms (Kelly Scientific Resources is a good one, see their website for Europe at KELLY EUROPE).

By getting another year or so of temp jobs under your belt in bench research, you'll be developing current experience and references (networking contacts) that you can use to find another full time position. Often, these temporary firms have deals with their client companies to allow you to take a full time job offer if they like you. So, it is a good career move, as long as you don't make temporary jobs a full time career. After a while, you would look like a poor candidate if you didn't find that permanent position, so consider my suggestion as only a 6 month to a year stop-gap.

Good luck!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum