Subscribe

Forum

This is insane!! Indentured servitude is back

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: This is insane!! Indentured servitude is back

Postby KML » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Just to add an additional experience here.

I applied for and received an F32 and from the moment it was initialised my supervisor began treating me very poorly. I felt that I could not leave as I had incurred the payback. I stayed beyond what any reasonable person should be expected to endure.

I made it to 15 months at which time my advisor completely changed my project and reduced my time on the grant to 50% without the consent of the NIH, which was against grant guidelines. The institute then claimed that even thought the grant guidelines had been received, they were too long for my mentor to be expected to read.

In the end, the grant was terminated at 15 months. I now owe the US government back over $40,000. After such a horrible experience, I have no desire to stay in research. However, I believe in living up to my agreements. Although rare, this is the kind of situation that can happen with a payback agreement.

From reading this forum, it seems that while grant funding is this tight, the situation in labs is not always conducive to a positive training experience. I am hoping that the payback soon becomes a thing of the past and that we can find a new way, such as providing a positive training experience, to try and keep scientists in science!
KML

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum