Subscribe

Forum

Senior Toxicologist Interview, Need Help

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Senior Toxicologist Interview, Need Help

Postby Bright B. » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm

A year ago after a short postdoctoral (8 months), I obtained a regulatory position. It was with a small company and in this position allowed me to get foot in the chemical/pharma industry. Last month, I did wo phone interviews with two different companies for a senior toxicologist position. One company I did not hear from afterward after a phone interview with the hiring manager and the VP. The second company after interviewing with the hiring manager, invited me for an onsite interview. This position match extremely my background and will use also the current skills that I acquired in regulatory affairs.
I have an all day interview without a presentation. I search online but cannot find much information. What should I expect? Please share your experience!!!! I'm also in need of salary information for senior toxicologist. I understand we do not post such information here. But it will be awesome if you can private message me about it.
Bright B.

Re: Senior Toxicologist Interview, Need Help

Postby D.X. » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:10 am

Hi Bright B,

Please be more clear on your Background and provide some insights into the Job description. Where in Regulatory Affairs did you work? What was your Focus area? did you contribute to the dossier, if so which module at which Level of LifeCycle Management? new filings or maintainance?

Would your new role sit in Drug Safety or pre-clinical R&D or Regulatory Affairs? If Drug Safety or Regulatory Affairs, I can comment - in this case you'd be contributing to the PK, and Tox parts of the dossier linking to the Label (CCDS and supporting CSP) - also perhaps liaising with Drug Safety to assist with thier activities - Signal detection, Signal assessment, PSUR, routine PV activities, RMPs, etc.

What are your specific questions?

DX
D.X.

Postby Bright B. » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:51 am

Hello D.X
My background is in pharmacology and toxicology (Neuropharmacology and statistics heavy) with 8 months postdoctoral on neurochemistry and 1 year regulatory affairs

My current role involves toxicology study review for product registration (dossier preparation), product safety, product stewardship and product risk assessments. I also write safety data sheets and label I'm in a regulatory affairs department but my position is kind of undefined and I'm doing a range of things (not focused). I'm with a smaller company that manufactures chemical and pharmaceutical products.

My new role is with a larger company at corporate. I will be Senior toxicologist working with CROs as study monitor and reviewer. I will also be reviewing toxicology data for product registration and worker's safety. It will also incorporate product safety or drug safety, safety data sheet and label writing/review.

My questions:

1. The interview is all day with 5 managers/directors and one other Senior toxicologist without a presentation. For a scientific position is this typical?
2. What is the typical salary range for a senior toxicologist? (Anyone can PM me for this since we don't discuss salary on the forums). I don't have anyone in my network with this title. Online search return very little data.
Bright B.

Postby D.X. » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:22 am

Hi Bright,

Thanks for the answers - well Looks like we shared similar experiences, I use to lead a product benefit risk team that included regulatory affairs and drug safety stakeholders - in the context of a medical role.

1. For the role you will be doing, there is really no need for a for a presentation. However, the focus of the interview will be on your knowledge and skill as it pertains to the Job. It would be for them to assess if you carry the technical know how to complete the Job. From your experiences you describe - be ready to talk about them and Champion them - be ready to give top-Level examples.

For example, if one of your assessments was included in a CCDS or a module, esplain that and the process.

Also be ready to talk about cross-functional work. For example be ready to respond to: How did you engage cross-functionally with the pre-clinical scientist who provided the tox. data? How did you work with Clinical Trial operations or Drug Saftey lead in securing an assessing data from clincal Trials etc. How did you work with Regulatory Affairs stakeholders etc. I'm sure you've had to Interface with Labeling functions, so be ready to talk about that - and maybe you've had exposure to a Medical Lead (as I was) - or perhaps maybe you've taken items to governance boards such as a Global Labeling Committee or a Global Benefit Risk Board. Maybe you've worked with Technical Operations/CMC on product stability or our of specification risks, so be ready to talk about those experiences - sharply and to the Point. Talk to your role and how you've leverage your experiences and especially brought in the Input of other functions and managed disagreements. I'm sure you've had alot of disagreements - when it Comes to interpreation and Action.

Obviously you know about the technical elements that go into the modules of the dossier, know how that translates into your CCDS, and for your relevance where the Core Safety Profile (CSP) document Feeds in. Or perhaps more relevent how you're imputing into that. What did you do if you found a Signal in your PSUR or ASR? I think they will interview you on your know-how on These Topics. They will probably ask you some case examples, so be ready for that. Also bone up on your regulations and reporting requirments. If in Europe understand CDMH, PRAC, PASS requriements, RMPs, etc. etc.

They will also ask you questions about time-Management and work-load - especially in the context of short Deadlines - i'm sure you've been exposed to situations where a Health-Authority wants a Response in 72 hours. So talk about that.

They will also look to personal fit was well, in the context of the team.

Since you will be in a CRO, they will also assess if your have the skills to work with your pharma Clients. Pay Attention here on explaining how you would Approach on expressing a differentiated or opposing view to your Client, they may ask you this.

So there is alot to address - especially if you climb in drug safety, presentations are not part of interviews in General. Doesn't mean you won't be giving them though.

Regarding salaries, you managed that correctly and I don't know so expect no PM from me.

Good luck!

DX
D.X.

Postby Bright B. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Hey D.X
Thank you for the information. I went on to my interview last week. It was a very long day. I met with 9 people all day with lunch included and they even went over time. Got out one hour late. To my surprise, they focused more on behavior that technical. I nailed the couple technical questions though. They seemed very happy with me. They started conducting background check and my references told me they have been called. So I'm hoping for an offer.
Thanks for the help
Bright B.

Postby D.X. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 am

Great Bright!

Congrats! I bet if your reflect on your answers to the behavioral questions, alot of the technical elements came out automatically, so they didnt have to go there much- that's when you know you got "Expertise".

Good luck and may your future benefit risks assessments always be favorable!

Cheers,

DX
D.X.

Postby Bright B. » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 am

D.X. wrote:Great Bright!

Congrats! I bet if your reflect on your answers to the behavioral questions, alot of the technical elements came out automatically, so they didnt have to go there much- that's when you know you got "Expertise".

Good luck and may your future benefit risks assessments always be favorable!

Cheers,

DX

DX thank you and by the way I got the job.
Bright B.

Return to Science Careers Forum