Subscribe

Forum

Postdoc: Letter of motivation?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postdoc: Letter of motivation?

Postby WG » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:36 pm

I am in the process of applying for a postdoc position that requires a letter of motivation. This is separate from the cover letter. I have already spoken to the PI so I know what the work will involve. For those that have written or reviewed something like this what are some of the things I should make sure to include?
WG

Re: Postdoc: Letter of motivation?

Postby MFM » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:51 am

In my books the motivational letter is the same as a cover letter. So be sure to include a little bit about what you've done before and, more importantly, why you want to work in that particular lab, what you want to get out of it as well as what you can offer to them. Also, show them that you know what they are working on (ie. read some of their papers, not just the abstracts) and how you are particularly suited to contribute to their work.

All the best with your application!
MFM

Re: Postdoc: Letter of motivation?

Postby BMK » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 pm

In addition MFM's advice, make sure that the writing is coherent and the grammar immaculate. Part of the point of requesting letters of motivation is to gauge the applicants writing style/ability as well as their ability to be persuasive, as this can in turn be evidence as to how well they will write scientific papers (which can sometimes hinge on writing a compelling introduction and problem statement).
BMK

Return to Science Careers Forum