Subscribe

Forum

Background Screen on Potential Job Offer

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Background Screen on Potential Job Offer

Postby J. Taylor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:56 pm

I recently interviewed for a position at a biotech/pharma. I've been notified to do background screen from the company, does this mean that I have a high chance in receiving an offer? How long does this whole process generally take before they make a final decision, assuming that they may be doing background screening on other candidates as well?
J. Taylor

Re: Background Screen on Potential Job Offer

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Generally, a company only reference checks the final candidate -- perhaps two candidates if there is some big decision between the two. I would think you have a great chance of receiving an offer if you have a solid background and no "skeletons in the closet," as they say!

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby J. Taylor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Dave Jensen wrote:Generally, a company only reference checks the final candidate -- perhaps two candidates if there is some big decision between the two. I would think you have a great chance of receiving an offer if you have a solid background and no "skeletons in the closet," as they say!

Dave

Thank you Dave for your reply, really appreciate it. The background check has been ongoing for more than a week now, so hopefully I will be able to hear back from them soon!
J. Taylor

Postby M.W.S. » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:23 pm

I just started my first position in the life sciences industry after an academic postdoc about six months ago, so I am by no means an expert. With that said, I only had background checks requested after receiving an offer, but typically before accepting an offer. I think they took between one and two weeks each. I suspect you are the final candidate (or at least in the top two or three). Good luck!
M.W.S.

Postby Bright B. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:25 pm

J. Taylor wrote:
Dave Jensen wrote:Generally, a company only reference checks the final candidate -- perhaps two candidates if there is some big decision between the two. I would think you have a great chance of receiving an offer if you have a solid background and no "skeletons in the closet," as they say!

Dave

Thank you Dave for your reply, really appreciate it. The background check has been ongoing for more than a week now, so hopefully I will be able to hear back from them soon!

J Taylor, I'm going through the same thing right now. I had my interview last Friday and sent in my background paperwork Monday and they call a couple of my references already. I can second Dave that as long as there is no skeleton in the closet, you will get an offer. This is my second job after grad school. For me I'm moving from 1st job to second one for better location, salary and environment.
Bright B.

Postby J. Taylor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Bright B. wrote:
J. Taylor wrote:

Dave

J Taylor, I'm going through the same thing right now. I had my interview last Friday and sent in my background paperwork Monday and they call a couple of my references already. I can second Dave that as long as there is no skeleton in the closet, you will get an offer. This is my second job after grad school. For me I'm moving from 1st job to second one for better location, salary and environment.

Thank you for your reply Bright B. It is very helpful!
J. Taylor

Postby Bright B. » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:23 am

J Taylor did you hear back from the company?
I received a call from the manager this week that they are going to offer me the job. That I should expect the offer in the mail by Friday. Do companies still send offer letter via snail mail? Interesting!!!!
Bright B.

Return to Science Careers Forum