Subscribe

Forum

Going to the company holiday outing or party

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Going to the company holiday outing or party

Postby PG » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01 am

Politics always exist to some extent. How it will impact the company and your specific position is very different. I have seen one large company that we collaborated with be completely paralyzed by politics fighting political wars between sites and sometimes within sites about who should be getting a cc to what e-mail.

On the other hand I have also seen and worked for companies in which politics have not had any impact on day to day work and have been limited to more strategic discussions.
PG

Postby D.X. » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:20 am

Rich Lemert wrote:As an employee, you need to understand the politics that directly affect you. They may be at the highest levels (e.g. the Board of Directors deciding whether or not to out-source R&D), or they may be at your level. If you understand them, you can formulate an appropriate strategy to deal with them. (I recommend staying as neutral as possible in both word and deed.)

Rich provides Sound advise - basically Comes down to understanding your Environment, knowing who your stakeholders are, and where your Points of influence are. It can be interesting in that the truely influencial stakeholders may be not so visable and relationships fully mapped. Thread cautiously. Also staying neutral as possible is the best course, but the operative words here are "as possible". Politics can't be advoided and unfortunately in industry (also academia), navigating politics is a part of career development if upper Echelon positions are a Goal. By being completely neutral, one can risk being perceived as not saavy, a loner, or in some cases, believe it or not, not trustworthy enough to take on greater responsiblity. Maybe related to how well you can Lobby and move influential stakeholder in your direct, with sensitivity to political environs. Cocktail Party or Holiday Party is one of those rare times you also get to observe from a more wide-angle view of whose' talking to who as well.

c'est la vie the politics - only form of escape I can find is starting my own Business in the form of my own Restaurant, coffee, shop, wine bar or hot-dog stand.

Good luck!

Dx
D.X.

Postby James Tyler » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:45 pm

If the company is going on a trip for a few days, how can you say that you don’t want to go in a way that won’t cause any problems for you? After reading these responses, I have no problem going to a party, but I’d rather not go on a trip. Like I said, I socialize with people at work and get along with them, so it’s not like I’m avoiding social interaction.
James Tyler

Postby D.X. » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:12 pm

That depends on the reason for the trip. If it is an off-site official team building activity then consider it mandatory. This will take the form of during the week, during work hours, not voluntary basically everyone is going. In this is the case, and you dont go, you better have a damn good reason not to go. In my case my entire team was scheduled for a 3 day off site/tteam building next month - they moved it to another date because of me - i have a major family event that is targeted to happen around that time sufficient for management to respond to my needs. Thats the level of excuse i am talking about. If you dont go, thats whats called a "CLM" aka Career Limiting Move". In order words start working on your CV. Again this is a case where is company or team is taking a proactive decision to have stop daily routine work to engage in an activity.

If it voluntary, say an ad hoc ski trip that is being held over a weekend that is not an official company activity (kinda like a xmas party, but that is still reasonablity vokuntary), then you have a right to decline. Ususally not done during stardard work hours, Not impacting work. No one will have an issue.

Use your common sense. As you grow in your career you will probably need to attend more off sites so start adjusting. Start weighing when you can and cant go. I have a highly social team but i keep my boundaries - enough not to be labeled as anti-social or not to be labeled as too social - you will also learn there is a leadership component to balancing that arms length social element with peers and subordinates :)

Cheers,

DX
D.X.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum