Uncertainty as College Senior

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Jessie » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:52 pm

I am a senior in college this year. I am having trouble deciding what I want to do after graduation. I am not sure I want to go into research as a career, but am wary about going to grad school right away, when I am uncertain of what I will be interested in eventually doing. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what I should do, or any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Postby Jim Gardner » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:57 am

If you are really uncertain about graduate school, I would recommend trying to find an entry-level research job in industry. After landing a job (I know, I know...easier said than done) try to observe and learn about the various different jobs at your company and elsewhere. When you discover a position that really interests you--network to learn the optimum educational and experience background to get that position. Now you can go back to school with the knowledge that you are getting the right education to do what you want to do. It is much easier to determine the value of an MS, MBA, PhD, etc. when you have real knowledge about the kind of career it is preparing you for.

I think it is a far better thing to not have a clear direction and to be honest with yourself about it, than to travel blindly down a career path that will not be right for you in the long run.

Good luck!

Jim Gardner

Return to Science Careers Forum