Subscribe

Forum

regulatory affairs interviews for entering PhD

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

regulatory affairs interviews for entering PhD

Postby S. Banerji » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Can anyone on this forum give me a sense of the kinds of questions I'd get in an interview for a position in regulatory affairs?

I assume I'll get something along the lines of "why do you want to switch into regulatory affairs?", and my answer to that would be that I thought it was more in line with my talents (communicating orally and in writing, detail orientation) and interests (changing health policy, patient safety).

My background is PhD/postdoc in cancer biology.
S. Banerji

Re: regulatory affairs interviews for entering PhD

Postby D.X. » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:59 am

Hi Banerji,

I recommend you first Research very intensely about what Regulatory Affairs is, then come back an ask more targeted questions.

For example, Regulatory Affairs is not about changing health policy and whereas Patient safety is a key component/cross-functional stakeholder of Regulatory Affairs, the owners of that in a company is Drug Safety who also have health-authority Engagement - in concert with RA.

So do a bit more Research about what it is and what the do - it seems you may not have done so.

Cheers,

DX
D.X.

Postby S. Banerji » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 am

I actually meant to ask what kinds of questions I would be asked about my postdoc years. Do publications matter? Should I expect questions about teaching or supervisory experience?
S. Banerji

Postby D.X. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:11 am

Hi Banerji,

In General employers will ask you questions centered on understanding if you can deliver the Job at Hand so this would be no different for RA.

I doubt an entry Level Job in RA would be interested in your teaching and supervisory experience, you'll not be doing any of those activities.

Rather more your scientific/techincal writing, scientific accumen, ability to work in teams, and time management (i.e. ability to multi-Task, prioritize, and deliver in very short time-lines, i.e. within hours). Your first Job in RA will involve alot of grunt work and taking direction with high-Level of follow through expected. Focus on trying to expand on those areas.

Cheers,

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum