Subscribe

Forum

Postdoc term

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postdoc term

Postby Ken » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:17 am

Postdocs are sort of temporary jobs. It's not like a regular job where it is over when either the employer or employee decides to end the relationship. So, when is a postdoc over? I mean, a project is never really "finished", as there is always somewhere else it can go. So, when can I say, all right, it's time to move on. This applies to both academic and industry postdocs, I suppose.
Ken

Postdoc term

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:05 am

Hi Ken,

Great question. I'll answer for the industry element, and ask one of our many frequent posters to contribute a response about your question as it relates to an academic career.

For industry, the postdoc is seen as your final education, that last piece of a long process that you started when you first went to college. Most hiring managers want to see an "evidence of productivity" in the postdoc, meaning "publications." If you get good work to pubish out of your postdoc, it was a success. Just remember, that once you start getting into a fourth year of a postdoc, you'd better be moving very quickly on an industry job search. Sure, they'll hire you with more years of postdoc, but it gets harder as you go along. The longer your postdoc is, the more concern that a hiring manager or HR person will have about your ability to work well in industry. You'll run the risk of looking "too academic" if you allow your postdoc years to go on too long.

So, the answer to your question is, for industry, that a postdoc should end at the earliest opportunity to show good productivity while maintaining excellent references from the PI and those in the lab.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum