Connecting with the Hiring Manager

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Connecting with the Hiring Manager

Postby KLL » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:02 am

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am currently a postdoc but I've always been interested in getting into Regulatory. I have a contact at a major company who not only encouraged me to apply for an entry level RA job that just opened but mentioned me to the hiring manager and introduced us via email. I know that there are all sorts of questions to ask during an actual interview, but what kind of questions are appropriate before I even apply? The job description seems pretty self explanatory to me, so I don't want to come off as though I don't understand it but at the same time I don't want to waste this opportunity to connect with the HM. Maybe this is difficult to answer without knowing the specific job, but any advice you could give me is much appreciated!

Re: Connecting with the Hiring Manager

Postby Dave Walker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Welcome to our forum! Thanks for taking the step to post -- many of us were lurkers before we started :)

Do you still have time left on your postdoc, or are you ready to apply for a job right now? You say you're "interested," which is great, but if you're not 100% committed for the job that's okay too.

If you are ready to apply and really want to do RA: this may just be my style, but I think you could contact the hiring manager and say you are excited for the opportunity, and ask how they prefer you apply? I would ask if it would make sense to talk on the phone, to show your eagerness. They should let you know what to do next.

If you are not ready to apply, you could still contact the hiring manager. I think it would be fair to share your excitement for the opportunity, but be clear that you can't apply right now. I would even go so far as to ask for an informational interview, which they may or may not be willing to do (but that's okay).

There's lots of questions you could ask before you apply: what is the company culture like? How is the RA group's dynamic? What do some successful group members go on to do? What's a typical day like? Etc. etc. etc.

Keep us posted!
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Re: Connecting with the Hiring Manager

Postby Ana » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Exactly what Dave explained, use that opportunity to learn about them by asking them those questions. Not only you will learn about that particular organization but you will also start getting more familiar with the industry. It's a good opportunity.

Return to Science Careers Forum