Subscribe

Forum

Thanks to all in this forum who helped me...

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Thanks to all in this forum who helped me...

Postby Mary K. » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:35 pm

Here is my story:

Came to USA in 2004 from Asia to follow my dreams in Science. Started PhD in 2004 and finished in 2009. I was so confused with my future in science. I realized that getting into that academic ivory tower is an uphill battle and I wasn't sure what to do. I love science, but I doubted that I will ever enjoy it due to the nature of the current scientific research. That's when I found this forum. My first question was "How to get a job in biotech industry with PhD?" I got many replies, mostly encouraging, and helped me to get couple of interviews from the industry. But the path was not that smooth. Visa, experience (PhD is not a real work experience!), and the fear of 2008's market collapse, etc. led me to take a postdoc position to survive!

Everyone knows how it goes....I was also trapped for five years. Finally, I had enough and decided to get out of academia. I was back in the forum with the question "How to get a job in industry after postdoc?" Some encouraging replies and some blames (of course!), but I think it was a positive experience.

After a thorough self-evaluation, I decided to apply for regulatory affairs jobs. I posted that question here and the responses were amazing. Dave and others boosted my confidence and I really worked hard to prepare my applications, customized cover letters and resume, and prepared thoroughly to perform well in the interviews. After 4-5 months and many applications, I finally got an offer as a CRA at a reputed CRO.

At the same time I applied for the job of a Project Manager at a top ranked University.It was my dream job as I am still in science without entering into a lab!

Finally, I got the PM position!! Of course, I don't have to travel, can make more money, and will never take a pipette in my hand!! Thus I ended up taking the PM position.

This forum and the responses I got helped me to steer through the winds and tides in my scientific life, and I am so thankful to all.

Hope this forum will help many to achieve their dreams...

Thank you!
Mary K.

Re: Thanks to all in this forum who helped me...

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks Mary. This is a great post. I'm happy to know that the forum and the forum participants were able to be a resource for you. I really appreciated hearing your story, thanks for sharing,

Dave Jensen Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby D.X. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 am

Hi Mary,

Congratulations!!

In Addition to Dave's comments, please remember to pay it forward by advising otheres and sharing your experiences.

There are alot of Folks who can value from your evolving experiences, I also got value from the Forum and in the space I have this is where I can pay it Forward with the time capacity I have.

However, should you one day need an personal assistant as you climb in your career, do consider me. I make great coffee, I am organized and can manage your dry cleaning, iPod Downloads, and file sorting.

Wishing you the best for an amazing journey ahead both in professional and personal life.

DX
D.X.

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:17 pm

HI Mary,

It is great to hear about your success, congratulations. It seems you got some experience on career transitions during that process that would be useful for other posters here so stay around!

Ana
Ana

Postby CHG » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Awesome post and congrats for the new job. Great to hear such stories.
CHG

Postby Jessie L » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 am

Hi Mary, thanks for your sharing and congratulations for your new job!

I am a research fellow too and also thinking to switch my career to regulatory affairs(RA). However, I have difficulty in customizing my resume to RA position.

I did 2 things and hoped to increase my chance. 1st, I emphasized my certification in medical affairs. Although it is on medical affairs, it also educates on drug registration and regulation part. 2nd, I emphasized some transferable skills such as time management skill and highly detail-oriented, etc. However, I guess both of them do not really help, or employers here just want "experienced" people... I haven't got any interview so far...

So I would greatly appreciate it if you can share your experience in getting a CRA offer~

Thank you!
Jessie L

Return to Science Careers Forum