Subscribe

Forum

accepting an offer while waiting for another

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby SRD » Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Hello all,

Let me layout my situation/problem first:

I have gotten an offer from company B today. They have given me a deadline to inform them about my decision by Monday.

I have gone through the interview process with company A, and I am expecting their decision in about 10 days. I would prefer to work with company A. However, I do not know if they will give me an offer.

What to do? Accept the offer from company B, and back out if/when company A comes up with an offer?

Thank you for all your help!
SRD
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm

You're in an ethical conundrum. You can't withdraw after accepting, that's seen as sleazy. You will have to think this through, and either ask company B for an extension, or accept them knowing that you are walking away from the other company. Lastly, you could call your contact at Company A and tell him/her that you need to accept another job next week, and if they have any way to move more quickly, etc. Try not to make it seem like you are playing one company against the other (don't talk about the other company by name, don't mention the salary offer, etc -- that's all inappropriate.)

Good luck!

Dave
“Humility is not my forte, and whenever I dwell for any length of time on my shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things; not at all like the glaring defects in other people’s characters.” - Margaret Halsey
User avatar
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 7737
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby Dick Woodward » Thu May 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Dave is exactly correct. In some cases, knowing that they are likely to lose a prime candidate will motivate a company to move. I would also suggest that you explain to Company A that you would very much like to work with them, but that you have another offer (as Dave says, say nothing more) and you would like to know where you stand with Company A, as your career advancement requires that you proceed with one of the two companies.

I have personally seen this work. My daughter (in health care, not in the sciences) wanted to work for one hospital, and had positive feedback from them. She then received an offer, with a time limit, from a second hospital. She communicated with the first hospital, telling them that they were her first choice but she had to make a decision. Lo and behold, she was their first choice as well, and they moved heaven and earth to get an offer to her before her other deadline.

It also does not hurt to ask for a delay from company B. I had a similar situation with my first position. I was pretty sure that I wanted to work with the first company that I interviewed with, and they had essentially offered me a position at the interview, but I had 2 more interviews scheduled over the following week. I called the hiring manager at the first company and basically said "I like your company, and I'm pretty sure that this is where I want to work, but I have interviews scheduled at two other companies. I feel that I owe it to myself to go on these interviews to make certain that I am making the right choice going with you." His comment? "Go ahead, we can wait another week. I would rather have a happy and committed employee than someone wondering 'what if'." (Stayed with them, and the company that bought them, for 9 years.) Not exactly the same as your situation, but I'm sure that you can find a way to phrase your request for a delay.

Good luck,

Dick
User avatar
Dick Woodward
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby D. Martin » Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Dick advice is great and it is an approach that you can take. Something I did (and it worked). I got a job offer, which was good but not what I was hoping for. I was waiting to hear from another place(my current job). I emailed HR and the (potentially) direct supervisor of the first company and said that I was interested in the job but I was expecting a different offer and described my expectations. They told me they would talk and let my know about my request. That bought some extra time, enough to get the second offer. The new offer from company one was a bit better but not too much. I told them that I was grateful and I like the company but I have another offer that was better.
D. Martin
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby SRD » Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks for the help. Company B won't extend the deadline. I emailed the hiring manager from company A, explained the situation and asked if it would be possible to know where I stand as a job candidate.

S
SRD
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby Ana » Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 am

Hi SRD,

Your situation is relatively common and there is no easy answer. I think you are doing all you can now. It was likely that the company that made the offer won't extend the deadline, I hope the other company will give you some feedback soon.
User avatar
Ana
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby RGM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I'd like to know if anyone has any new advice or new experiences/strategies for the situation the OP posted on.

I somehow doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
User avatar
RGM
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby Dick Woodward » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm

RGM:

I pretty much think that this post covered it. Try as I might, I cannot think of anything else.

Dick
User avatar
Dick Woodward
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

Postby RGM » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Never hurts to ask, I was pretty certain this was the case.
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
User avatar
RGM
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 pm


Return to Science Careers Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bill L. and 14 guests