Page 1 of 1

accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 pm
by SRD
Hello all,

Let me layout my situation/problem first:

I have gotten an offer from company B today. They have given me a deadline to inform them about my decision by Monday.

I have gone through the interview process with company A, and I am expecting their decision in about 10 days. I would prefer to work with company A. However, I do not know if they will give me an offer.

What to do? Accept the offer from company B, and back out if/when company A comes up with an offer?

Thank you for all your help!

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm
by Dave Jensen
You're in an ethical conundrum. You can't withdraw after accepting, that's seen as sleazy. You will have to think this through, and either ask company B for an extension, or accept them knowing that you are walking away from the other company. Lastly, you could call your contact at Company A and tell him/her that you need to accept another job next week, and if they have any way to move more quickly, etc. Try not to make it seem like you are playing one company against the other (don't talk about the other company by name, don't mention the salary offer, etc -- that's all inappropriate.)

Good luck!

Dave

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:48 pm
by Dick Woodward
Dave is exactly correct. In some cases, knowing that they are likely to lose a prime candidate will motivate a company to move. I would also suggest that you explain to Company A that you would very much like to work with them, but that you have another offer (as Dave says, say nothing more) and you would like to know where you stand with Company A, as your career advancement requires that you proceed with one of the two companies.

I have personally seen this work. My daughter (in health care, not in the sciences) wanted to work for one hospital, and had positive feedback from them. She then received an offer, with a time limit, from a second hospital. She communicated with the first hospital, telling them that they were her first choice but she had to make a decision. Lo and behold, she was their first choice as well, and they moved heaven and earth to get an offer to her before her other deadline.

It also does not hurt to ask for a delay from company B. I had a similar situation with my first position. I was pretty sure that I wanted to work with the first company that I interviewed with, and they had essentially offered me a position at the interview, but I had 2 more interviews scheduled over the following week. I called the hiring manager at the first company and basically said "I like your company, and I'm pretty sure that this is where I want to work, but I have interviews scheduled at two other companies. I feel that I owe it to myself to go on these interviews to make certain that I am making the right choice going with you." His comment? "Go ahead, we can wait another week. I would rather have a happy and committed employee than someone wondering 'what if'." (Stayed with them, and the company that bought them, for 9 years.) Not exactly the same as your situation, but I'm sure that you can find a way to phrase your request for a delay.

Good luck,

Dick

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 pm
by D. Martin
Dick advice is great and it is an approach that you can take. Something I did (and it worked). I got a job offer, which was good but not what I was hoping for. I was waiting to hear from another place(my current job). I emailed HR and the (potentially) direct supervisor of the first company and said that I was interested in the job but I was expecting a different offer and described my expectations. They told me they would talk and let my know about my request. That bought some extra time, enough to get the second offer. The new offer from company one was a bit better but not too much. I told them that I was grateful and I like the company but I have another offer that was better.

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 am
by SRD
Thanks for the help. Company B won't extend the deadline. I emailed the hiring manager from company A, explained the situation and asked if it would be possible to know where I stand as a job candidate.

S

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 am
by Ana
Hi SRD,

Your situation is relatively common and there is no easy answer. I think you are doing all you can now. It was likely that the company that made the offer won't extend the deadline, I hope the other company will give you some feedback soon.

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 pm
by RGM
I'd like to know if anyone has any new advice or new experiences/strategies for the situation the OP posted on.

I somehow doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm
by Dick Woodward
RGM:

I pretty much think that this post covered it. Try as I might, I cannot think of anything else.

Dick

Re: accepting an offer while waiting for another

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm
by RGM
Never hurts to ask, I was pretty certain this was the case.