How do I find biotech companies willing to pay for law school?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:25 pm

I will be graduating from Cornell with an MS in Plant Cell and Molecular Biology. I've been considering going to law school for awhile and a couple of the faculty here have told me that some companies will pay for law school. My question is where can I find them?

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:29 pm

Jake, good question!

You can't find companies listed anywhere by this "feature" of their benefits. And, you certainly can't ask it in an interview, because people may get the wrong idea about your motivations to go to work there. Perhaps you can call companies blind and ask for an HR person to discuss what benefits they have? Still, that sounds a bit "pushy" to me, and may not work. And I wouldn't use my own name :)

In general, large companies have programs like this. So, if you were going to work for Pioneer Hybrid, they may indeed have this benefit. But, going to work for a small ag-biotech firm . . . that would be a very slim possibility.

On the biopharm side, it is far more likely than on the ag-tech side of your career options.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Kelly Ann » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:16 pm

I know a number of people who have successfully taken extension courses (science or business). I have actually seen a lot of companies whose career section list benefits, including whether or not they have educational assistance programs. However, some things to consider are that the reimbursement varies from only covering job-related courses (tied directly to what you are doing) to a defined allotment per year. So, even if you find a company willing to pay for law school classes, you may find that the costs exceed the amount they will pay (though this is still a benefit). Also, most companies in my experience only pay for tuition (and maybe books) after the course is complete with a passing grade (so you do have to pay the cost up front). And finally, it will be important to find an evening or weekend program that your interested in the geographical area where you are looking for employment.

Like Dave said, I don't think it would hurt to ask an HR rep (about their benefits package) but I would avoid this question in an interview with a supervisor.
Kelly Ann

Return to Science Careers Forum