Subscribe

Forum

Best career

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Best career

Postby RDB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:54 am

Hello! I'll start my career and my university offers these options:

B.S. Chemistry and Nanotechnology Engineering
B.S. Mechanical Engineering with minor in Industrial Engineering
B.S. Biomedical Engineering

I really like the three options, so I'd like to know which one of them has the best future. My first options would be Nanotechnology and Biomedical, since I've read they are the future of science. But which is your opinion?

Also, I'm from Mexico and I'd like to know if it is possible to foreigners to work in the US or Germany. Unfortunately, these professions are very poorly paid in my country so it would be good if I could leave. I have a great level of English and a B1 in German (which I'm planning to keep studying).
RDB

Re: Best career

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:37 am

Of course, work permits are available for both the USA and Germany, with the USA in transition now politically and Germany not a subject I can comment on (others can?). However, you'll end up with a marketable degree whatever direction you go.

The engineering degree will ALWAYS be one that leads you to work. There is never an end to the need for engineers in the work force. There are needs for scientists, as well, but as you can tell if you read the forum, it's much more "niche specific."

Nanotechnology is an over-stated part of our future (in my opinion.) Yes, there will be jobs, but they sure aren't in large supply now. So that's the biggest risk of the three. Could pay off handsomely, but still -- large risk at this point. You could end up a chemist doing QC work in a pharmaceutical plant on the border -- and NOT doing intriguing "nanotech R&D" work.

The Biomedical engineering degree will lead you to the medical device area. A booming business, but again -- very niche specific and I'm not sure this forum addresses those niches as we are more of a life sciences forum. I'm sure that Biomedical engineering would start you off well, but you'd need a graduate degree to do your own independent work. Which brings up the subject of, "What is it you WANT to do?"

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Rich Lemert » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:50 am

I would echo Dave's last point - what is it you want to do? The three areas you list are very different, each requiring its own distinctive set of skills and abilities, and each having a different set of goals. What little overlap there may be is mostly due to how people in what area might need to access products produced by someone in another field.

This forum can provide you with information about each field, but until you know what it is about them that you want to do we can't help you decide which one's right for you.

(Regarding your first option - chemistry and nanotech - contact me off-line. I can point you to someone working in the area who would be worth getting to know.)
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby D.X. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:23 am

Hi RDB,

Regarding the question on Germany, having competency in the German language is good step, I recommend being able to Show proficiency at the B2 Level as that will be required should you work in a German speaking Environment.

Regarding work Permit, as you are a non-EU, and as Mexico is not a European Economic Area (EEA) or signatory to the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), nor a Schengen member, then you ability to secure a work Permit dependent on you having an offer of employement from a Company. In more simple Terms, you Need a Job offer.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum