Subscribe

Forum

Part time content area expert consulting

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Part time content area expert consulting

Postby M.W.S. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi All,

I recently got an email regarding part time consulting work. I have never heard of this consulting organization before but it appears to have a large network of subject area experts. The email says they have a client interested in learning more about an area that I have expertise in and the client would be interested in talking on the phone for to get some insight into how decisions are made to move forward with contractors in this field and trends in the market.

It sounds like an interesting opportunity but I have two concerns. 1) is it legit (minimal training involved and a great deal of information about assuring you don't provide any confidental information) and 2) will I violate any company policies at my full time company (a massive multi national biotech where I probably can't go to legal personnel or HR personnel and get a quick and straightforward answer). Any input on how to proceed would be appreciated (i.e. how should I discuss with my supervisor without him getting the impression I am not happy with my current position).

MWS
M.W.S.

Re: Part time content area expert consulting

Postby Dick Woodward » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:50 am

There are some legitimate consulting organizations that arrange phone consults with subject matter experts. However, most of the ones that I am aware of a) do not reach out to persons who are not previously registered with them and b) ask that you have your employer's permission to do this. They do, however, spend a great deal of time dealing with confidentiality issues.

While it is inappropriate to mention their name here, if you PM me with their name, I will tell you what (if anything) I know about them.

Best,

Dick
Dick Woodward

Return to Science Careers Forum