Subscribe

Forum

Has anyone had any success contacting an employer for any potential positions?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Has anyone had any success contacting an employer for any potential positions?

Postby Terry M. » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to contact a small biotech company that I would like to work at for any potential job openings in their lab. They currently do not have any positions posted and therefore I don't know specifically what skills they will need, but I really like the area of work that they do and am hoping to have a chance to start a new career in that area. Has this approach ever worked for anyone and any tips?
Terry M.

Re: Has anyone had any success contacting an employer for any potential positions?

Postby PG » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Contacting a company that doesnt have any jobs posted and asking for a job has a low probability for success but sure it can happen and I have myself hired people who have done just that. The reason for the low probability of success is that it becomes a question about timing. For it to actually work the company needs to either have a position open that they have not yet advertised or they need to get a new opening that you are a good fit for in the near future. If this doesnt happen they will most likely not Contact you when something becomes open in the future. Your CV and application will then have some time since it was submitted and they dont know if you are still interested.

Instead of doing this my suggestion would be to make Contact with someone at the company that you are interested in and rather than asking for a job telling them about yourself, mention that you are interested in a career within their area of expertise and ask that person what recomendation they have for you to make that happen. You can ask about what skills that would be required ie what might you need to learn etc.

This makes your Contact a networking Contact that you can continue to keep Active rather than a one time event asking for a position. If they do have a position open that you are a good fit for chances are that they will ask you if you are interested.
PG

Re: Has anyone had any success contacting an employer for any potential positions?

Postby Ana » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:51 am

I agree with PG, turn it into a networking contact, ask about what they are doing, say you find them really interesting, and in that context I find it ok to tell them you are looking for a career in their area and their advice on that. PG answer is excellent.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum