Subscribe

Forum

The process of getting a raise

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

The process of getting a raise

Postby James Tyler » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:39 pm

I work at a small biotech company as a BS level RA. I’ve been working there since August 2015. During a meeting with my manager in January 2016, he mentioned that in January, they do a salary review, but you have to work there for at least a year so I wasn’t eligible at that point. Last year and this year have been very productive years and we received a 15% bonus last year. I should be up for the salary review this January and I have some questions regarding the process.

How does the process work and how do I prepare for the meeting? What kinds of questions will they ask me? Will I have to fill out any paperwork? What is the raise based on? Should I start preparing for the meeting now?

Since things at work have been productive for the past 2 years and I’ve received mostly positive feedback regarding my performance, what raise percentage should I expect? They started me off at a relatively low salary (compared to the average in the area for similar roles at small biotech companies) and I know that one of my coworkers started out at a few thousand dollars more annually even though he has the same role, but he has more experience.

Will I probably have to negotiate a raise percentage or will it be a fixed amount? If I need to negotiate, how much of a raise should I ask for? Is there a good resource or article on negotiating raises?
James Tyler

Re: The process of getting a raise

Postby Ana » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:53 pm

The specific % is very specific for the company, the department, and how well they are doing (more or less room to reward employees) so nobody outside your company will be able to give you a good guess.

It is usual that you have to stay in the company for at least 2 years to get a promotion or raise, so that sounds normal.

In my experience you don't have to do anything. Your manager will have recommended some adjustment to your salary as part of his/her evaluation of your year performance and if it is approved then you will be officially notified of that (probably face to face and some written letter). It is not the result of an interview, but the result of your annual performance appraisal. That's what it's based on.

Ana
Ana

Re: The process of getting a raise

Postby PG » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:25 pm

This is a process that is very different between different companies and of course also between different parts of the World. I am going to assume that you are based in the US for the rest of my reply. In the Company I work for we have two connected processes that leads to a decision about salary revisions.

The first is our performance management process. During this process all employees are evaluated for their performance during the previous year. This process provides input for the salary revision process and importantly also contains discussions about goals for the coming year, personal development initiatives etc.

The second process is our salary revision process. Anyone with a start date before the 4th quarter of the previous year is elegible for participation. Staff with startdates in the 4th quarter gets their starting salary adjusted for the upcoming year already from their start date.

The salary revision process for US based staff then consists of two parrts, annual salary revision and promotions. The annual salary revision is given based on the performance evaluations and is usually a rather low percentage of the current salary. The second part of this process is promotions which is usually but not always restricted to staff that have spent at least a couple of years in their current position. This is a slightly higher percentage of the current salary and is intended to show that the employee has increased his or her value for the Company by gaining more experience and being able to take on more responsibility. Exactly what this means is different by department and position.

Finally we have promotions that means that you take on a completely new role for example that you are promoted to get responsibility for other staff etc. These promotions can be given at any time during the year when a need for a new position occurs and of course also means a new salary discussion.

As Ana described the typical process in the US is that your manager will suggest a specific salary adjustment to his manager and if approved you will receive notice usually in a face to face meeting. Any arguments that you want to do for your revision needs to happen earlier in the process. In our case this shoudl be during the performance evaluation were you do have the possibility to remind your manager for example if you have taken on additional responsibilities during the previous year.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum