Subscribe

Forum

Alzheimers-start at the back end

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Alzheimers-start at the back end

Postby Harry E. » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:11 pm

After 46 years in cardiology and clinical research, I'm finding it difficult to understand why Alzheimers research continues to try to find ways to prevent the disease when the treatment has been stagnant for decades. If prevention is unreachable at this time and new studies are falling by the wayside, industry is understandably reluctant to keep trying. So many diseases are now treatable while the search continues to try to find the cause-atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer. The meager positive outcomes in pre, mild and moderate improvement are so subjective as to make them unreliable as a template for success. Now with a family member nearing death, I am here to tell you that the back end is where efforts will make a difference. Someone who is not moderate to severe is not yet a complete burden on the family and caregivers and the major financial losses are just starting at this stage. Lifetimes of hopes and dreams are slowly and completely destroyed. Most survivors will never be able to recover physically, mentally, financially.
I have searched for years for studies that include the later stages. I don't understand why they have not been included. When you are desperate there are no adverse events. Phase 1 studies would fill rapidly. As with cancer and AIDES there is no clamor from families to try a drug, any drug that may work because they are too tired to clamor.
Harry E.

Re: Alzheimers-start at the back end

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm sorry, this doesn't appear to be science career oriented, and while we approved it, we'll have to take it down after a few days,

I'm sorry for your situation and wish that medicine had better answers for you.

Dave
“Humility is not my forte, and whenever I dwell for any length of time on my shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things; not at all like the glaring defects in other people’s characters.” - Margaret Halsey
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum