Subscribe

Forum

How to become a Principal Scientist in biopharma/biotech

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: How to become a Principal Scientist in biopharma/biotech

Postby D.X. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:04 am

Hi SUA -

To build on Nate's Point there appears to be a series that NEJM (New England Journal of Medicine) is Publishing on challenges of conducting clinical studies in industry - last month they did one from a big pharma perspective which i posted elsewhere on teh forum, and this month (published earlier this week) they published another from the view of small biotech Company - the article's author focuses his examples from a Rara Disease perspective.

Here is the reference - good reading

The Changing Face of Clinical Trials: Drug-Development Challenges for Small Biopharmaceutical Companies

R.A. Moscicki and P.K. Tandon | N Engl J Med 2017;376:469-474

Between this and last months article you start to get a Picture at the later end of development of what's going on out there.

I'm i a small pharma that fills its porfolio either by licensing-inalready marketed products or late stage products that are on cusp of getting regulatory approval - so for us our challanges are more like the big pharma ones clinical study wise. I cant' talk much to this particular article but go back to last months issue and find that article on the view from large pharma and I can talk to that more.

DX
D.X.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum