Subscribe

Forum

Apply for one position, receive interview for another

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Apply for one position, receive interview for another

Postby Ana » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Oh that's interesting. I had a HireVue interview last year and I had never heard about that system before. We didn't have unlimited takes for each question, only for practice before the interview started. Afterwards you would have 1 minute to read or listen to the question and think your answer and then about 2 minutes to answer. That made it quite difficult. I guess each client adjusts those parameters.

I found it very impersonal too. No room for adding anything beyond what's asked (unless you don't answer the question during the allowed time). I like to have interviews as conversations, not as a one-way street.

As a candidate i didn't like that, but when I researched on-line about the system I saw it is becoming quite popular for the large companies.

PJM, keep us posted, and I hope you get to an actual person so that you can discuss the difference in the roles as advertised and interviewed for.

Ana
Ana

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Thank you for your reply PJM. That's the problem with any new technology. You have to think through the whole "Is this really better than the old way?" question . . .

Dave
“I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.” - Albert Camus
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Mike Adams » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 am

It is better if you get the job for the same position for what you are applied for. Changing of position can change your career. Once gone in the wrong direction you can not get back to the same. So it's up to you. I also suggest you take the advice of career consultant. They will guide you much better.
Mike Adams

Postby PJM » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 am

Well I don't think this job will be moving along any further, mainly because I think my talent acquisition contact has ghosted me(https://goodmenproject.com/guy-talk/what-saying-when-ghosting-hlg/).

[rant]When I took the video interview last week, I was interrupted during the first question and accidentally submitted it. I thought, no problem, I'm sure this has happened before, maybe they can reset it or something. I email my contact to see if there was anything they could do, and get no response. Waited 24 hours and emailed again. No response. On the third day, emailed again and got a two sentence response..."Unfortunately there is nothing we can do. If you remember the question, you can provide an answer here and I will forward it along to the hiring manager."

Ok, do you want me to make my own video? Email a response? Not so helpful and a pretty curt response for what took 3 days to get a reply. Whatever, "Thank you for your help. I know you guys wanted this done within 3 days. Will finish right away and email you a video for the question for which I messed up. Best, PJM" No response. I finish the rest of the video interview questions, email my contact saying I finished and included a video response to the question I messed up as an attachment and asked her if she could forward it. No response. Give them the weekend, send another email asking her to confirm if she received my previous email, in case it got filtered out due to the large video attachment. No response.

I understand this isn't a high level job. I'm sure my contact is busy since it is a decent sized organization. I'm trying to give this person the benefit of the doubt. I don't need the white glove treatment or to be babied, but this interaction, or lack thereof, has left a very bitter taste in my mouth, and has left a black mark on the company as a whole in my eyes.

Am I right to be ticked off with my contact? Is this par for the course for larger companies? Am I just being a big baby? I've dealt with HR and TA contacts before, albeit at much smaller companies, and all have bent over backwards to ensure that the interview process ran smoothly for me. Interviewing is stressful enough, and I didn't take out hours of my busy days to set up an interview space and practice, just to be ignored by the person who is supposedly "assisting me in my application" (their words in their original automated email). Any advice? Or just let bygones be bygones?

[/end rant]Sorry for the long winded post, but I do feel a little better now getting that off my chest.
PJM

Postby Rich Lemert » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm

This company is very clearly demonstrating their corporate values to you. They have decided that job-seekers are so desperate they are willing to jump through and and all arbitrary hoops in the hopes that the company will deign to offer them a position. And they will continue to do so as long as they are willing the accept the mindless sheep they attract.

I'm not even considering the whole "video-interview" aspect of the situation. In our current "shareholder value is the only measure of success" environment, HR teams are under pressure - like everyone else - to "do more with less". And, if done right and communicated well, this is an interesting idea that could be made to work for the benefit of both parties in the interview process.

This company, however, appears to have established a very rigid process that allows the job-seeker only limited opportunity to edit their product. Furthermore, despite creating the hoops the job-seeker must jump through, they are unwilling to work with that person to finish the tasks.

Some would argue that there is just one person behaving badly, but that person is NOT acting in isolation. Their behavior is, if not encourage, at least condoned by the company culture.

The end result is that you now have a pretty good idea of what type of place this would be to work for. It's up to you if this is the type of place for which you'd like to work. Fortunately this type of company, while not rare, is not the norm.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum